Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The-Forge Taking Open-Source TressFX Further With Vulkan, Other Framework Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The-Forge Taking Open-Source TressFX Further With Vulkan, Other Framework Improvements

Phoronix: The-Forge Taking Open-Source TressFX Further With Vulkan, Other Framework Improvements

TressFX, the library backed by AMD GPUOpen for advanced hair/fur/grass rendering and used by games like Tomb Raider, is seeing some improvements with its inclusion in The-Forge rendering framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Improve? Does that include making not halve the frame rate like with Tomb Raider 2013?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Improve? Does that include making not halve the frame rate like with Tomb Raider 2013?
      Well, that also is a port and not a real native game. So I'm not sure if there's is even a single native Linux game out there supporting it.

Comment

Did the Feral port of Tomb Raider 2013 even have TressFX? If I recall correctly, nothing really happened when I tried to switch it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Did the Feral port of Tomb Raider 2013 even have TressFX? If I recall correctly, nothing really happened when I tried to switch it on.
          It was a bug that you had to quit the game and restart for it to take affect. I found it too slow initially but when the drivers improved later, the performance was better. The visual difference was also quite profound.

Comment

Aaah, I see. I never did that. I did play it with TressFX on Windows back when it initially came out though.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              is improving their hair rendering supporty.

Comment

Back in 2007, "Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction" was released which had flags that would move when hit by bullets, the hair simulation doesn't seem any more advanced than that...
                Maybe it would be more obvious if the hair wasn't in a pony tail, to show many strands of hair being simultaneously simulated instead of one big clump.

Comment

Working...
                X