Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 19.0 RADV vs. AMDVLK 2019.Q1.2 vs. Radeon Software 18.50 Linux Vulkan Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to buck the trend here, and say that I prefer amdvlk to radv.
    When using rpcs3 to upscale PS3 games to 4k resolution, radv has a lot of artefacts from rasterisation.
    OpenGL and amdvlk are fine, the former having poorer performance.

amdvlk is the best driver to use for rpcs3 on linux, so I for one hope that amdvlk is not going anywhere.

Edit: The best part is, I have both installed, and can choose which driver I want to use depending on what I'm running.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
      I think it's clear at this point RADV is the way to go. It's the "supported" backend by most projects (as in tested and working right) and has good development pace.

Not saying AMDVLK needs to go of course. It's sad that AMD always manage to screw things up ending up with at minimum 2 "drivers" for the same thing. At least this time, there's one that's "good" and the other "ok". It used to be bad and worse
      Not hardly the way to go. Very few projects even use Vulkan. In a year, AMDVLK will be the one all commercial projects use.

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
        Yeah at this point AMD should just admit that AMDVLK is pointless and contribute to RADV.
        Their stubbornness with AMDVLK as well as the amount of time they've taken to open-source it makes me wonder if they really wanted to have an open-source Vulkan driver at all.
        AMDVLK is essentially their Windows Vulkan driver with a wrapper around it. It's going to stay around for that reason, and I doubt a lot of extra developer time is being allocated to maintain the Linux compatibility portions. And it's a completely different codebase, so if RADV doesn't work with something, maybe AMDVLK will. It's good to have options.

Comment

Hmm, overall it seems RADV to be the best average choice, very dependant on the game someone plays, I do hope their able to bring them closer together in perf in the future.

Hopefully Micheal gets a Radeon7 card sent to him soon, will be interested in how that stacks up against a 2080RTX or 1080TI whichever...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Hmm, overall it seems RADV to be the best average choice, very dependant on the game someone plays, I do hope their able to bring them closer together in perf in the future.

Hopefully Micheal gets a Radeon7 card sent to him soon, will be interested in how that stacks up against a 2080RTX or 1080TI whichever...
            I will have Linux benchmarks on ~launch day one way or another.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Not hardly the way to go. Very few projects even use Vulkan. In a year, AMDVLK will be the one all commercial projects use.
              That seems unlikely. Do you have a source or reasoning behind this?

Right now everything targets radv because that's what Valve is backing, and Valve is pretty much the only reason any commercial projects are even thinking about linux. That doesn't seem to likely to change in the next year to me, unless new hardware comes out that's just completely unsupported in radv for a long period of time.

I suppose maybe if Vulkan on Windows takes off instead of DX12 then that might increase amdvlk usage, depending on whether or not anything is incompatible or would preclude radv from just working ootb on linux.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 17 January 2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Absurdity. In addition to the broken ports from Feral and DXVK layer RADV has no advantages.
                AMDVLK works better and better, the performance is slowly selected to the proprietary driver.

Comment

For now radv somehow hang Radeon 560 in Dell 5475 when running TW3 or GTA V, even with Linux 5.0rc1 and Mesa 19.0 git.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    so AMD open-source is now faster than AMD closer source in OpenGL and Vulkan...

it is more stable and more compatible means more games run without problems.

now we need a nice GUI for the graphik driver and we need the support for the workstation features wie compatibility profile openGL

and then we can kill of the closed source open-GL driver and closed source Vulkan driver.
                    You can't "Kill" the closed driver due to the pro users !

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                      For now radv somehow hang Radeon 560 in Dell 5475 when running TW3 or GTA V, even with Linux 5.0rc1 and Mesa 19.0 git.
                      Report a bug, so they know about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X