Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 19.0 RADV vs. AMDVLK 2019.Q1.2 vs. Radeon Software 18.50 Linux Vulkan Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    I think it's clear at this point RADV is the way to go. It's the "supported" backend by most projects (as in tested and working right) and has good development pace.

Not saying AMDVLK needs to go of course. It's sad that AMD always manage to screw things up ending up with at minimum 2 "drivers" for the same thing. At least this time, there's one that's "good" and the other "ok". It used to be bad and worse
    Not hardly the way to go. Very few projects even use Vulkan. In a year, AMDVLK will be the one all commercial projects use.

Leave a comment:

• TheYoshiGuy
    replied
    I'm going to buck the trend here, and say that I prefer amdvlk to radv.
    When using rpcs3 to upscale PS3 games to 4k resolution, radv has a lot of artefacts from rasterisation.
    OpenGL and amdvlk are fine, the former having poorer performance.

amdvlk is the best driver to use for rpcs3 on linux, so I for one hope that amdvlk is not going anywhere.

Edit: The best part is, I have both installed, and can choose which driver I want to use depending on what I'm running.

Leave a comment:

• gukin
    replied
    I don't agree that only RADV should the only Vulkan driver that matters, competition is rarely a bad thing. I can remember a time that ie 6 was the only browser that mattered. After having lived with fglrx while RadeonSI was evolving then discovering that AMDGPU-PRO was only available on select distros, I was very, very glad that there were choices. Later finding out that AMDGPU supported many cards that Radeon and allowed me to run Vulkan apps, I was once again pleased that there was a choice.

I'm just glad there is choice and excellent performing drivers for AMD video cards and why I keep buying AMD.

Leave a comment:

• gurv
    replied
    Yeah at this point AMD should just admit that AMDVLK is pointless and contribute to RADV.
    Their stubbornness with AMDVLK as well as the amount of time they've taken to open-source it makes me wonder if they really wanted to have an open-source Vulkan driver at all.

Anyway, thanks again to all people contributing to RADV, your work is much appreciated

Leave a comment:

• Mystro256
    replied
    Originally posted by ihatemichael
    What is AMDVLK? Is this another Vulkan stack that plugs into Mesa, or is it completely separate from Mesa?
    Completely separate AFAIK.

In regard to a previous comment, I don't think there is much that can be brought from AMDVLK to RADV. I do not work on either Vulkan stack, but this is what I've been told from a high level.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It looks like only RADV was able to run all the games where AMDVLK and Radeon Software didn't. Time to end AMDVLK and focus on RADV.
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
    I wish AMD would just port the remaining things from AMDVLK to RADV in the next months and then continue supporting only RADV.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    It looks like only RADV was able to run all the games where AMDVLK and Radeon Software didn't. Time to end AMDVLK and focus on RADV.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    I think it's clear at this point RADV is the way to go. It's the "supported" backend by most projects (as in tested and working right) and has good development pace.

Not saying AMDVLK needs to go of course. It's sad that AMD always manage to screw things up ending up with at minimum 2 "drivers" for the same thing. At least this time, there's one that's "good" and the other "ok". It used to be bad and worse

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
    As an AMD user I'm really glad radv exists. Sadly AMDVLK has been rather disappointing. It took forever to get release, and when it finally did, it could render bearly anything correctly. Even now, more then a year later, it still remains less reliable, especially with dxvk. Also the "code drop maybe once a week" development model means that end-users can't test new features ahead of an offical release even if the code already exists internally (https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/70). If there was no radv amd users would still be completely without VK_EXT_transform_feedback.

Anyways, what i actually wanted to say: I'm happy radv's performance remains competitive and thanks to the devs involved.
    I totally agree, RADV is very stable and I always had a great experience even when I used mesa-git! So yes, thank you for this great driver :-) And I hope I can rely more on this in the future, maybe Zink/VK9/DXUP or something else like kwin-vulkan will further extend my RADV usage.

Leave a comment:

• Masush5
    replied
    As an AMD user I'm really glad radv exists. Sadly AMDVLK has been rather disappointing. It took forever to get release, and when it finally did, it could render bearly anything correctly. Even now, more then a year later, it still remains less reliable, especially with dxvk. Also the "code drop maybe once a week" development model means that end-users can't test new features ahead of an offical release even if the code already exists internally (https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/70). If there was no radv amd users would still be completely without VK_EXT_transform_feedback.

Anyways, what i actually wanted to say: I'm happy radv's performance remains competitive and thanks to the devs involved.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X