Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RLSL Continues Maturing For Compiling Rust To SPIR-V For Use With Vulkan Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLSL Continues Maturing For Compiling Rust To SPIR-V For Use With Vulkan Drivers

Phoronix: RLSL Continues Maturing For Compiling Rust To SPIR-V For Use With Vulkan Drivers

One of the most passionate topics by readers in the Phoronix Forums is the Rust programming language. For about one year now "RLSL" has been in the works as a Rust-based shading language that can compile into SPIR-V. While initially I held off on writing about it to see if it would be just another small toy project, RLSL has continued maturing and seeing new functionality added in...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of the linked blogposts(both from February)
    Disclaimer

The code for RLSL can be found here. It is not ready to be used at all, the build tools haven't been written yet. I encourage you not to build it. Also the code is still in a relatively bad shape.
    Github ReadMe
    The project is currently unusable
    Yep, looks cool, yep there is active commit history. No new blog posts about it since and the readme on the repo indicates it's still not ready to use... I'm confused what the purpose of this article was about, this ain't reddit?

I'm a big fan of Rust, but I come to phoronix for news/updates on things, a shading language in rust is great, but I'm not sure a neat project having an active commit history warrants itself as news? If it was something new and relevant like some projects that get articles here, ok. If it was an update about it reaching a state that it was considered usable(not ready, usable), cool... this isn't any of that?

Comment

its really awesome. thanks for sharing

Comment

Eh, I probably wouldn't have known about this project if this wasn't posted so I don't mind. It's good to keep track of what the kids and their fads are doing. Some day they may actually produce something useful.

Comment

o̶b̶l̶i̶g̶a̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶
          obligatory merge vulkan and open cl comment

Comment

@PowderGuy: You're talking about gfx-rs

Comment

Working...
            X