Vulkan Getting Another Extension To Help With DXVK/Direct3D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Getting Another Extension To Help With DXVK/Direct3D Performance

Phoronix: Vulkan Getting Another Extension To Help With DXVK/Direct3D Performance

Last month Vulkan picked up an unofficial Vulkan transform feedback extension solely to help out efforts like DXVK that map Direct3D or other graphics APIs on top of Vulkan. Separately, another Vulkan extension is in the works to also help out DXVK and D3D-over-Vulkan-like use-cases and can assist in better performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a significant performance problems on some apps. On Megadimension Neptunia VIIR, for instance, moving discards early appears to give about a 20x perf improvement over keeping them late. The...

Comment

Nice to see but will this be an improvement for all games or very specific use cases?

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
        Nice to see but will this be an improvement for all games or very specific use cases?
        Why do you resist good news? It says its supposed to help performance for VK over D3D, wtf, cant ppl be happy these days?

Comment

Can I please just state how grateful I am about this and how Vulkan and the Khronos Vulkan Working Group actually cares about the needs of wrappers? I don't think any of this was in their initial core goals when developing Vulkan, and I can even see reasons why they might frown upon extensions like this but for the benefit of everyone they still seem to care.

Comment

we can all dream of performance parity some day

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
              Can I please just state how grateful I am about this and how Vulkan and the Khronos Vulkan Working Group actually cares about the needs of wrappers? I don't think any of this was in their initial core goals when developing Vulkan, and I can even see reasons why they might frown upon extensions like this but for the benefit of everyone they still seem to care.
              its interesting that they work on linux only features

Comment

Linux gaming has turned into a drug dealer that constantly shows up with better and better stuff, including free samples! It's gonna be such a comedown when this spree ends (if it ever does—fingers crossed)

Comment

DXVK is pretty much the greatest project to ever hit Linux from a "mass-appeal" point of view. It started what, a year ago? It's not even a year old, and it plays half the games I throw at it.

Greatest project ever, of this decade.

Comment

This situation reminds me of X vs Wayland except different.

Wayland has maintained rigidity and refused to expand the protocol to include features and functions necessary for a complete desktop. So instead every Wayland compositor implements these features differently.

Vulkan on the other hand sees the advantage of focusing on perfection but being practical and adapting so the maximum # of gamer could benefit.

I wish more projects could focus on what's practical instead of what's ideal.

Comment

Working...
                    X