EA SEED's Halcyon R&D Engine Experimenting With Vulkan & Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    There are tons of people upset about the Windows 10 privacy issues that would welcome with open arms a stable, competitive platform.
    There are, but it's up to at least one of the big desktop distros to make a massive push on that front. I mean like Ubuntu or Fedora or Mint etc... That involves tackling the remaining non-gaming concerns and also making sure PCs are shipping with Linux, that people know how to get support easily etc. The work that Valve does on gaming makes the entire ecosystem better and makes Linux more appealing to the general consumer, but a similar push needs to happen on the desktop distro front. Somebody in that space has to step up... Or else it's not gonna happen even with Microsoft screwing up and valve making Linux gaming better.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      There are, but it's up to at least one of the big desktop distros to make a massive push on that front. I mean like Ubuntu or Fedora or Mint etc...
      "Game friendly" distribution will change almost nothing. Target of such distribution would be almost the same like it is now: Linux enthusiasts, power users only. Even Windows average users are not buying/downloading and installing new versions of Windows (it is the reason why Microsoft is forcing them by updates) - no way that some company could convince them to reinstall system on their computers.

Real Linux console with big company involved it is the only possibility. Unfortunately I have mixed fillings if Valve is "big enough". Only companies like Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple have plenty of resources for console market. Now even Microsoft have troubles with it - PS4 is the winner in console market.

The best candidate would be Google, but they have they own walled garden - Android and ChromeOS, so probably they are not interested to share profits with Valve...

IBM/Red Hat? Nope - they are not interested in consumer market at all.
      Valve + Dell? Perhaps, but after failure of Steam Machine probably Dell is not very interested to cooperate again with Valve...

Also I think that "30% Valve tax" it is illusion. Perhaps regarding indie developers it is true, but regarding Ubisoft, Bethesda, etc. - I think that they are paying much less. It is the only reason why they still distribute new games via Steam. Still distribute, but they are already prepared to stop doing it. For example Fallout 76 will not be available via Steam... It is MMO so I do not care, but never the less it is not good sign for Valve...

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

"Game friendly" distribution will change almost nothing. Target of such distribution would be almost the same like it is now: Linux enthusiasts, power users only. Even Windows average users are not buying/downloading and installing new versions of Windows (it is the reason why Microsoft is forcing them by updates) - no way that some company could convince them to reinstall system on their computers.
        I didn't say game friendly. All the major distros are already game friendly and steam works on them.

I meant that for Linux to gain market share in the desktop space we need somebody we need somebody to do what Microsoft does for Windows in terms of aggressively pushing it. Meeting with governments and organizations to push and support it and going after PC makers to make sure PCs ship with Linux.

in the living room yes a sucessful console will work, but that won't spill into desktop market share.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Also I think that "30% Valve tax" it is illusion. Perhaps regarding indie developers it is true, but regarding Ubisoft, Bethesda, etc. - I think that they are paying much less. It is the only reason why they still distribute new games via Steam. Still distribute, but they are already prepared to stop doing it. For example Fallout 76 will not be available via Steam... It is MMO so I do not care, but never the less it is not good sign for Valve...
          yep 30% is the basic maximum. In every industry big customers negotiate better terms, but they are under NDA.

I wonder what percentage tax GOG and Origin etc takes from devs.

Comment

Off-topic:

"Pica pica" means "[he/she/it] chops cock/dick" in portuguese

Comment

I wonder if this move might get EA to make games for Linux.

Comment

Well, I wish EA would just fucking die already. Wishful thinking, I know. Fuck them and their exclusivity contracts. Choke on a dick and die, EA.....

EDIT: God, I hate Madden so fucking bad. DIE EA! Fuck your exclusivity! Because of you there are -NO- good NFL games...... Choke you fucking bastards....

EDIT: They are as good as -any- monopoly.... And -EVERY- government needs to shut them the fuck down. It should have happened a decade ago. The whole world would be a better place. Fuck their exclusivity bullshit.
                Last edited by duby229; 30 October 2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X