Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VUDA: A CUDA-Like Runtime API For Vulkan

Phoronix: VUDA: A CUDA-Like Runtime API For Vulkan

An independent open-source developer has started the VUDA project as an effort to provide a CUDA Runtime API interface based on Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If it's an early project with no releases, I'd look at the developers behind it. If they have no notable track record, then it's probably not worth reporting. Probably well over 99% of projects don't go anywhere, for one reason or another.

I do see the irony in making a standard API look more like a proprietary one.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      I do see the irony in making a standard API look more like a proprietary one.
      It's not irony, it's reality with the existing copyright laws and vendor locks. Wine is another example of that.

Comment

If it's an early project with no releases, I'd look at the developers behind it. If they have no notable track record, then it's probably not worth reporting.
        Just like DXVK a year ago... (inital commit on 10. Oct. 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Spring View Post
          It's not irony, it's reality
          They're not mutually exclusive.

Originally posted by Spring View Post
          with the existing copyright laws and vendor locks. Wine is another example of that.
          Bad comparison. WINE is (effectively) an API emulator, whereas this project is "just trying to make it easier to utilize Vulkan for GPU computing for those more accustomed to (CUDA)". In other words, just trying to make Vulkan programming more CUDA-like.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
            Just like DXVK a year ago... (inital commit on 10. Oct. 2017)
            Isn't DXVK a Valve project? So, no. Not just like DXVK.

Comment

Isn't DXVK a Valve project?
              It was not a year ago. Valve hired the developer when things like Nier started to work.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...lay-tick.12537

DXVK started as a random project from some random dude on the internet.
              Last edited by -MacNuke-; 08 October 2018, 03:51 AM.

Comment

DXVK, VK9, Zink, GLOVE, VUDA... Is Vulkan the Meaning of life, or the Meaning of life is running over Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
                  DXVK started as a random project from some random dude on the internet.
                  Sure, it happens. But for each project from "some random dude" that succeeds and becomes consequential, there are probably hundreds that are either abandoned before releasing anything or that do release but never become consequential.

And just how newsworthy do you think a wrapper for Vulkan "to make it easier to utilize Vulkan for GPU computing for those more accustomed to (CUDA semantics)" really is? I can imagine a few CUDA users might like it, but the DXVK analogy is really a matter of apples and oranges.

Comment

And just how newsworthy do you think a wrapper for Vulkan "to make it easier to utilize Vulkan for GPU computing for those more accustomed to (CUDA semantics)" really is? I can imagine a few CUDA users might like it, but the DXVK analogy is really a matter of apples and oranges.
                    No, but since OpenCL is moving to Vulkan Compute API and Intel/AMD/All mobile GPU vendors are supporting Vulkan, this might be a hit on the industry.

Comment

Working...
                    X