No announcement yet.

Vulkan Adopts A Code Of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes sense for any foundation or working group or a founder of an open source project to adopt a good and specific CoC to protect their community. Social media sites have terms of service, open source projects need to have something more than just the GPL for code. Glad this is turning out to be so widely adopted so as to be the norm going forward for any project not on the fringe.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post

How about this?

https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941 (I hope I am allowed to post this link here).
      What happened to him?

[spoiler]nothing[/spoiler]

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

What happened to him?

[spoiler]nothing[/spoiler]
        You see no problem? So that is normal to you? Are you agreeing with that behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post

You see no problem? So that is normal to you? Are you agreeing with that behaviour?
          Did I ever disagree that this is behaving like a piece of shit? No.
          Do I mean that idiots will be powerless when they're randomly accusating maintainers for no reason, because they have zero authority? Yes.

Comment

So does adopting a CoC mean GTK will become usable with Object Orientated languages (e.g enabling auto-connecting signal handlers with class methods) or is this all a giant wank-fest about nothing? Btw on harm to projects. I was working on a project years ago, and we had hundreds of contributors but no-one who could actually properly engineer code. Except for the project lead/maintainer and his brother. The project ran on Linux/Mac/Windows/IRIX/Solaris and a few others. They both moved on, and the entire project collapsed. So forcing some of these high level engineering people out through activism could easily lead to the death of large scale projects. Be careful what you wish for. Not all contributors are equal. I've spent the last 10 years trying to learn programming to replace those guys but it's a hopeless effort. I say this not as an opinion, but as lived experience.
            Last edited by DMJC; 24 September 2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

Nope. I used a religious allusion ironically to mock an individual. It says nothing about the religion, but if you know and understand that religion, it says much about my opinion of what that individual has said, especially when it applies to the original article.
              Well many religious people would consider that offensive.
              One of the ten Commandments is "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". I'm not a bible expert but I think this applies here.

Comment

Did I ever disagree that this is behaving like a piece of shit? No.
                Do I mean that idiots will be powerless when they're randomly accusating maintainers for no reason, because they have zero authority? Yes.
                You know that the person that is behaving like a piece of shit is the author of the "Contributor Covenant" from which the linux Coc is derived from, right?

Here is a Code of Conduct statement for the wider kernel. It is based on the Contributor Covenant as described at www.contributor-covenant.org From this point forward, we should abide by these rules in order to help make the kernel community a welcoming environment to participate in.

Also, according to the codes these are the first people whom should be banned. Why aren t they?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  So does adopting a CoC mean GTK will become usable with Object Orientated languages (e.g enabling auto-connecting signal handlers with class methods) or is this all a giant wank-fest about nothing? Btw on harm to projects. I was working on a project years ago, and we had hundreds of contributors but no-one who could actually properly engineer code. Except for the project lead/maintainer and his brother. The project ran on Linux/Mac/Windows/IRIX/Solaris and a few others. They both moved on, and the entire project collapsed. So forcing some of these high level engineering people out through activism could easily lead to the death of large scale projects. Be careful what you wish for. Not all contributors are equal. I've spent the last 10 years trying to learn programming to replace those guys but it's a hopeless effort. I say this not as an opinion, but as lived experience.
                  Any project that can't attract and train smart people through it's business model or practical use, frankly deserves to die. Being nice to people shouldn't have to take a back seat to anything. Being under any such fear is bullshit. People can and will find alternatives with diverse and better communities, it's open source.

Comment

The best way to fight against this kind of Code of Conduct nonsense is to use it against the people pushing for it. They are usually the worst offenders. Take note of the name calling from users Helios747, and bregma calling people they disagree with Incels, and the religious bigotry in the one comment by bregma(I'm an atheist and even I can see it). That would be a volation. If these two are working on any projects that have COC's maybe they should be reported.

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
                    My favorite part about incels crying about projects adopting CoCs is that if they actually did practice "being excellent to each other", that would entirely fall within most CoCs and they wouldn't need to care.

No, they're mad that they actually have to be aware that their words matter. (And their words are a pretty big reason why nobody wants to talk to them)
                    Originally posted by bregma View Post
                    Inb4 incel outrage... oh, crap, how fast ya gotta be?
                    Last edited by ramrod; 24 September 2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Link. Not to random issues where a butthurt person is flaming a random maintainer, a case where it actually caused someone to be banned or to step down. Not a random maintainer protesting against a CoC that hasn't remotely affected him, either.
                      Larry Garfield

Comment

Working...
                      X