DXVK 0.80 Released With Initial State Cache, Direct3D 11.1 Feature Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 0.80 Released With Initial State Cache, Direct3D 11.1 Feature Level

Phoronix: DXVK 0.80 Released With Initial State Cache, Direct3D 11.1 Feature Level

Development on DXVK for mapping Direct3D (primarily D3D11) atop Vulkan continues speeding along for boosting Windows gaming on Wine / Steam Play (Proton). Ending out the weekend is the release of DXVK 0.80...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anybody explain to me why they started skipping releases - we jumped from 0.72 all the way to 0.80?

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
      Can anybody explain to me why they started skipping releases - we jumped from 0.72 all the way to 0.80?
      I think they treat 1.72 as 1.7.2

Comment

In general: The developer might have a list of features/functionalities or at least a rather concrete vision of how usable his program should be when reaching version 1.0

This said going from 0.71 to 0.72 does bring some optimizations and Bugfixes etc but going to 0.80 indicates a way greater step towards the 1.0 milestone and is in my opinion justified by having some rather important features checked off of the to-do-list.

Comment

Nice little update,

Being a bit off topic here but does anyone know how-to get MP4 playback in wine/dxvk games that use it? tried installed codecs but no luck, not completely sure where the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Nice little update,

Being a bit off topic here but does anyone know how-to get MP4 playback in wine/dxvk games that use it? tried installed codecs but no luck, not completely sure where the problem is.

I want to know not only about MP4 payback, but other codecs in general. Is it possible to use ffmpeg? I did know about something in mplayer (mpv antecessor) that used wine code to use directdraw codecs.

Comment

I installed ffmpeg and a few other things via winetricks but nothing seemed to help. The videos are just blank screens until you press a key to continue.

The Bards Tale IV is one of the easiest games to test because its menu as a background MP4 playing, if its blank then its not working. (inc its loadup splash screens)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Nice little update,

The games with videos that work best under wine/proton are typically the ones that ship with the libraries it needs included with the game files, like bink (rad game tools) or the studio's own custom solution.

Beyond that, you're in territory where video playback is going to be aggravatingly difficult because of how the entire system is setup. On Windows you have this video playback system called "quartz" (official name is something else, but quartz is the name of the dll) that wine attempts to replicate with their own libs. The problem?
                For 64-bit software, wine hooks 64-bit wine dlls and attempt to use 64-bit libraries available on your system (via gstreamer). That should work on your system if you can play mp4 files on your computer directly when using gstreamer. To test this, use any video player that relies on it as a backend (I think totem does this, but not sure).
                For 32-bit software, wine hooks 32-bit wine dlls and attempt to use 32-bit libraries, again via gstreamer. This is where things can get tricky, because depending on your distro of choice, you can't have both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries of these libs installed on your system at the same time. This has been true for at least debian-based distros for as far back as I can remember.
                Something that can further complicate the issue is that this has been an issue on Windows as well; In order to remedy this when 64-bit became mainstream on Windows PCs (starting with Windows 7), the bandaid solution for game developers making 64-bit titles was to call the 32-bit video playback libs anyway, so even 64-bit titles played in wine would require you to use 32-bit libs for video playback.

In theory, wine's implementation should be the ideal one. Provide the windows API, and translate calls to it to interface with an appropriate linux-based backend like gstreamer.

If the game you try to play is using quartz to play video, you have two choices for getting video playback working:
                1) Make sure your system has all video backend libs needed for playback (gstreamer with appropriate plugins), and confirm the games you play can use them.
                2) Install the windows native libs inside your wine prefix and configure your games to use those instead of wines' builtin libs.

Option #2 is usually the one you see posted for many games that use video in some capacity on wine's appdb.

Comment

No idea what the game uses but it has a thirdparty folder it makes use of but not too sure on the dll files purpose. Also I could see no reference to quartz in the log output.

Neglecting Folder Names:

WinPixEventRuntime.dll
                  libvorbis_64.dll
                  libvorbisfile_64.dll
                  codex64.dll and usual steamworks stuff
                  libogg_64.dll
                  GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.dll (NVIDIA)

Not sure if any of those play H264 video files or not,

Ell well, am sure someone will figure it out someday. They do plan a linux release someday.

Comment

Originally posted by randomsalad View Post
                    For 32-bit software, wine hooks 32-bit wine dlls and attempt to use 32-bit libraries, again via gstreamer. This is where things can get tricky, because depending on your distro of choice, you can't have both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries of these libs installed on your system at the same time. This has been true for at least debian-based distros for as far back as I can remember.
                    Seems like a shortcoming of the distro then, because that works fine on SUSE.

Comment

Working...
                    X