DXVK Picking Up A Shader Cache To Help Reduce Stuttering, Boost Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK Picking Up A Shader Cache To Help Reduce Stuttering, Boost Performance

Phoronix: DXVK Picking Up A Shader Cache To Help Reduce Stuttering, Boost Performance

A shader cache is in development for the DXVK Direct3D-to-Vulkan API translation layer used by Steam Play / Proton and optionally by Wine. This shader cache holds a lot of potential for reducing in-game stuttering and helping boost the overall performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn, DXVK just getting better more and more amazing. Combined with a few updates specifically for translation layers showing up in Mesa things are looking pretty damn good. Won't be long before keeping a windows install around for the odd troublesome game is a thing a past.

Comment

I think by the end of the year we will see many games running near enough to Windows performance that most gamers wouldn't notice the difference. Looking forward to the stream output vulkan extension coming and more updates that smooth out performance. I hope Blizzard are taking notice, they could easily support most of their titles with Proton. Also disappointing they've gone ahead with DX12 and are ignoring Vulkan so far, even though they are part of the working group.

Comment

I wonder how far it will go. Proton is huge for Linux but I am hoping for more support for the edge cases. Namely support for 3rd party applications that maybe wine would care about. I have software that requires a dongle and I wonder what it would take for them to support linux as well. Anything that increases the linux user-base is good in my book though. I just hope I could move over 100% as well.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
          Damn, DXVK just getting better more and more amazing. Combined with a few updates specifically for translation layers showing up in Mesa things are looking pretty damn good. Won't be long before keeping a windows install around for the odd troublesome game is a thing a past.
          Way ahead of you. I've already ditched Windows last month.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
            Won't be long before keeping a windows install around for the odd troublesome game is a thing a past.
            there are so many linux games, you don't need any windows install. i didn't bother to fix windows partition when it died in 2012 or so

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              there are so many linux games, you don't need any windows install. i didn't bother to fix windows partition when it died in 2012 or so
              I beg to differ, but with the state of play atm that is becoming more of a reality!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I beg to differ, but with the state of play atm that is becoming more of a reality!
                This really depends on the games you play, and even barely then, so if you look at lutris and wine appdb enough, you might actually find work arounds for what you want.

In my two decades of exclusive Linux use (I had a MBP for a couple of years), by far the weakest moment was the launch of Starcraft 2. Even then, it started working on Wine in 2-3 years, so a little patience goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by audir8 View Post

This really depends on the games you play, and even barely then, so if you look at lutris and wine appdb enough, you might actually find work arounds for what you want.

In my two decades of exclusive Linux use (I had a MBP for a couple of years), by far the weakest moment was the launch of Starcraft 2. Even then, it started working on Wine in 2-3 years, so a little patience goes a long way.
                  I downloaded KingdomeCome: Deliverance (I freakin love this game) at tried to play it under proton. It doesn't "Just Work" yet. When I can install my games and they "Just Work" I can call it a success.

Steam itself got off to a bit of a rocky start, with some Linux game ports here and there not working. I have not had that experience in a while now - so, that's a success!

Things do and will get better, and I am being patient. Proton is awesome in theory, and right now they are doing the hard work in making things "Just Work". I really do hope they can pull it off and I will be doing what I can to help too.

Comment

That's amazing. The only thing that was still an issue when I tested it, was the shader compilation stuttering when entering a new area. This should fix it, especially when it's paired with precompiled shaders by Valve.

Indeed, I still had an unused SSD in my computer with Windows that I had to boot one or two times per year to play multiplayer games...
                    Now I got the opportunity to use this SSD, which is always a pretty demanded resource, for something much better.

Comment

Working...
                    X