• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by geearf View Post

What makes it superior?
    Nothing at all. However because it has the Apple logo stamped on it Marc is probably contractually required to praise it above all.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    We actually use MoltenVK for cross-platform support of our medical imaging software, and it works great. It is very nice to be able to progress from using OpenGL and focus solely on Vulkan when writing new software from scratch.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Metal is superior to Vulkan
    What makes it superior?

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    To me metal is a giant waste of time. Not because it's bad technology but cuz it's redundant. Just like amd realized that Mantle is pointless
    Metal is superior to Vulkan and AMD knows it or they wouldn't port ProRenderer directly to it. Apple has zero interest in opening up Metal to replace Vulkan, any more than Nvidia has an interest of adopting OpenCL for CUDA.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    To me metal is a giant waste of time. Not because it's bad technology but cuz it's redundant. Just like amd realized that Mantle is pointless
    Mantle was like a POC, since it worked it evolved into an industry standard known as Vulkan.

Leave a comment:

• habilain
    replied
    On the Mantle point: Historically, it's more accurate to say that Mantle became Vulkan - AMD pretty much gave the Mantle API to the Kronos group, who developed it into Vulkan. So Mantle was hardly pointless.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by silmeth View Post
    In the meantime gfx-portability started running Vulkan renderers of Dolphin and RPCS3 emulators on macOS.
    Some niche hobby project that's around since 2014, nobody ever heard of and without the backing of Valve and the Khronos Group. Waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• GunpowaderGuy
    replied
    Would vulkano benefit from using metal 2 ? Would the resulting performance be comparable to a vulkan to dx12 translation layer ?

Leave a comment:

• silmeth
    replied
    In the meantime gfx-portability started running Vulkan renderers of Dolphin and RPCS3 emulators on macOS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X