Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLOVE: OpenGL ES Over Vulkan As Open-Source

Phoronix: GLOVE: OpenGL ES Over Vulkan As Open-Source

Think Silicon announced this morning they have open-sourced GLOVE, a middleware layer that implements OpenGL ES over Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now I'm curious how this stacks up against ANGLE (https://github.com/google/angle) which also has work in progress for GL ES on top of Vulkan.

Comment

Everybody is jumping on top of Vulkan it seems.
      Last edited by humbug; 01 August 2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Everybody is jumping on top of Vulkan it's seems.
        Makes sense; OpenGL was a horrible API as far as usability goes, so it makes sense everyone would jump to a replacement that's easier to work with,

Comment

So this OpenGL ES to Vulkan layer. I guess you could say, it fits like a glove!

I'll see myself out now.

Comment

Is it also a because of Valve paying them?

Comment

Vulkan is the "C language" of graphics APIs. Not surprised everything is implemented on top of it, eventually, it's simply superior. It lacks some features right now that are in other APIs but they'll add them eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Vulkan is the "C language" of graphics APIs. Not surprised everything is implemented on top of it, eventually, it's simply superior. It lacks some features right now that are in other APIs but they'll add them eventually.
                Like what?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Like what?
                  Unless I'm mistaken and they recently added it, I'm pretty sure Vulkan still lacks transform feedback.

Comment

It also makes sense to have implementations of these higher languages above Vulkan - in the future graphics manufacturers could simply support Vulkan only and use these solutions layered on top to support legacy (or even not so legacy) software.

Another benefit of this model is that someone can decide to come up with some other developer friendly higher level interfaces that may eventually take over. Iterating over such solutions would be easier.

Comment

Working...
                    X