Apple Accepts Updated MoltenVK-Using App/Game For Vulkan API On iOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Accepts Updated MoltenVK-Using App/Game For Vulkan API On iOS

Phoronix: Apple Accepts Updated MoltenVK-Using App/Game For Vulkan API On iOS

Earlier this month we reported on a game studio finding their MoltenVK-using game rejected from Apple's App Store. Fortunately, that situation is now firmly resolved and Apple has allowed this Vulkan-over-Metal game into their iOS marketplace...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if something like this is the future of game development: https://github.com/LukasBanana/LLGL
    An interface over all the major Graphics APIs.

Comment

I was wondering how they did this. I'm learning Vulkan and it's got a low level and very sophisticated API, how could this possibly be done in Metal without losing like 5% speed?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        I was wondering how they did this. I'm learning Vulkan and it's got a low level and very sophisticated API, how could this possibly be done in Metal without losing like 5% speed?
        Vulkan, Metal and DirectX12 are actually fairly similar in design. They are all loosely based on the AMD "Mantle" API.

In any case, a small speed loss often isn't as important as sharing code between platforms. Mobile phones vary widely in GPU horsepower, s software has to deal with it anyway.

Comment

Look like they realize something, some companies will don't do vulkan for android and port them to metal, ppl I know who use iphone rarely plays games, they only use the default apps

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Vulkan, Metal and DirectX12 are actually fairly similar in design. They are all loosely based on the AMD "Mantle" API.
            Im not sure about DirectX here but my understanding is that both Vulkan and Metal derive from Mantle. Im not sure what the actual reasoning for the "Metal" name but supposedly some minor changes creep in. In the end very similar and easy to map across.

It would be nice if somebody had the details.
            In any case, a small speed loss often isn't as important as sharing code between platforms. Mobile phones vary widely in GPU horsepower, s software has to deal with it anyway.
            mobile phones, iPads, Tv's and on and on. One might even have an advantage with the more widely used API as broader use means proficiency and more hours invested in codeing.

Whatever the case Vulkan is a big win for developers and AMD. With Vulkans success i could see AMD optimizing GPU hardware to better support the API. AMD should be very happy with Vulkans success.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              I don't think Valve every claimed that they don't lose a bit of speed in the process..

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                ppl I know who use iphone rarely plays games, they only use the default apps
                I don't have the numbers for this but I would be surprised if the most popular game platform in the world isn't iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Vulkan, Metal and DirectX12 are actually fairly similar in design.
                  Isn't Metal higher level that the other two?

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
                    I don't have the numbers for this but I would be surprised if the most popular game platform in the world isn't iOS.
                    Actually it's android, but that's just a shear numbers thing. Most games for android are just time sinks for most people. It's just that so many "bubble" games, board games, platformers and etc exist that the numbers are overwhelming, but most of those poeple wouldn't call themselves gamers.

Comment

Working...
                    X