No announcement yet.

Vulkan vs. OpenGL Performance For Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess he meant CPU overhead, so CPU utilisation graph alone, not fps graph or averaging. Which shows something interesting indeed. Vulkan is slightly slower than OpenGL on AMD in certain titles, yet consuming less CPU cycles. As if there were less gfx API calls (with use of Vulkan), but they were less optimised than more high level OpenGL counterparts. Clearly AMD Vulkan driver needs work.

Comment

Yep It's well established that Vulkan has less CPU overhead than openGL. Agree on that point.

His claim was that Nvidia's driver had more overhead than RadV, which seems to be untrue.

On Linux Nvidia has the best Vulkan driver. Performs better than the AMD community driver RadV.

The proprietary Radeon Software 18.20 does perform faster than RadV but according to Michael it doesn't work for half the games.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

Curious how times have changed.. it seems like nowdays ~40FPS is not considered a playable experience anymore.. I remember the times when I was more than happy with my 25FPS gaming experience
        And back when I and friends where totally happy playing Elite on C64 where it would get below 1fps at times

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          On Linux Nvidia has the best Vulkan driver. Performs better than the AMD community driver RadV.
          The performance from Vulkan driver for Nvidia is hardly surprising considering the black box approach from the company. However, that does not mean it is a better method. Too much quirks to resolve especially tainted kernel.

What makes RadV remarkable is the open implementation that matches and sometimes surpass Nvidia proprietary driver on some games or productive software not to mention the better interaction with AMD team in addition of Valve and in some extent Intel. RadV is quite functional and just needs refinements notably handling all GCN cards possible.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            The performance from Vulkan driver for Nvidia is hardly surprising considering the black box approach from the company.
            I don't think there is anything inherently slower about open source software. So I do not think we should have different performance standards...

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            However, that does not mean it is a better method. Too much quirks to resolve especially tainted kernel.
            I agree, that's why I used AMD graphics cards. They just fit in better and are well integrated with the Linux ecosystem. Things just work out of the box and less headaches..
            Last edited by humbug; 16 July 2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I don't think there is anything inherently slower about open source software. So I do not think we should have different performance standards...
              It's possible that some performance optimizations are encumbered by patents though, right? Like the S3TC patent which recently expired which meant the tech could be enabled by default in the FOSS driver stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

It's possible that some performance optimizations are encumbered by patents though, right? Like the S3TC patent which recently expired which meant the tech could be enabled by default in the FOSS driver stack.
                It's possible. But the AMD openGL open source drivers surpassing the Nvidia blob happened because of enough talented people spending enough man hours over the years to improve it.

I suspect the same will be true for Vulkan as well. Whoever has more talent contributing more effort will be faster, regardless of FOSS or blob.

Comment

@humbug: That is true, and sometimes talent can even work around patents and come up with different solutions which achieves a similiar result without infringing on any patents.

Comment

Yep It's well established that Vulkan has less CPU overhead than openGL. Agree on that point.

His claim was that Nvidia's driver had more overhead than RadV, which seems to be untrue.

The proprietary Radeon Software 18.20 does perform faster than RadV but according to Michael it doesn't work for half the games.

Mad_Max_default = less overhead per frame on OGL
                    Dawn_of_war_iii = less overhead per frame on both apis
                    Total_war_saga = complete parity
                    Dota_2 = parity per frame

Comment

I suspect that the min frame rates may be the main benefactor of vulcan in this gpu limited scenario...

Comment

Working...
                      X