Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan-Virgl Continues Progressing For Getting Vulkan Within VMs

Phoronix: Vulkan-Virgl Continues Progressing For Getting Vulkan Within VMs

One of the most exciting Google Summer of Code 2018 projects is Vulkan-Virgl for supporting this modern graphics/compute API within virtual machines...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anybody know, if it would be possible then to use DXVK inside of a Windows VM to get DX11 acceleration? I think, that the performance wouldn't be sufficient to run such a game, but just in theory?

Comment

It should be possible, of course.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by scorp View Post
        Does anybody know, if it would be possible then to use DXVK inside of a Windows VM to get DX11 acceleration? I think, that the performance wouldn't be sufficient to run such a game, but just in theory?
        In theory yes. But not this project. This project Vulkan-Virgl is targeting Linux and BSD mesa based stuff.

Please note with opengl pass though wined3d(the direct x part of wine) has been used before.

Comment

someone would need to write Windows driver that is capable enough to have vulkan interfaces redirected through it. at that point DXVK and similar would work just as they do on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

In theory yes. But not this project. This project Vulkan-Virgl is targeting Linux and BSD mesa based stuff.

Please note with opengl pass though wined3d(the direct x part of wine) has been used before.
            Oh yes, I forgot, that virgl is unfortunately not implemented for windows. Anyway, thank you.

Comment

Oh yes, I forgot, that virgl is unfortunately not implemented for windows. Anyway, thank you.
              It is, but it's still in very early stages.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

That's actually an interesting thought, right there! If there were implementations of older DX versions as well, that'd wind up being fantastic! Unfortunately, we'll need a Windows device driver first to sit in place of the fake card.

Aaaaaaaaand I just saw that someone above me has already covered most of this.

Comment

Working...
                X