Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Gets DirectX Shader Compiler Working On Linux

Phoronix: Google Gets DirectX Shader Compiler Working On Linux

At the start of 2017 Microsoft open-sourced their new DirectX shader compiler and now thanks to the work of some Google engineers this shader compiler is working on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In other news , rust ( a subset ) gets a spir v compiler

Comment

Someone technical please explain this. Is this an OMG thing?

Comment

It's also on MacOS.

I don't know enough of the graphics internals to comment, but if someone can translate what is written in this documentation page (in their source) in layman terms it would be great. https://github.com/google/DirectXSha.../DxcOnUnix.rst

oiaohm

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
          It's just a HLSL->SPIR-V compiler, which lets you use DirectX shaders with Vulkan with very little modification. Not sure if it's necessarly *better* than glslang's HLSL support, but if it works well enough, it should make it easier for people to target Vulkan natively, and getting it to run on Linux is obviously nice if you develop on Linux. One of the major issues with Vulkan adoption is probably that no one wants to maintain a GLSL and a HLSL version of their shaders.
          Last edited by VikingGe; 26 June 2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
            Having an official compiler? probably means that compatibility should be close to 100% all the time. Also - Having another MS project running natively under Linux is a good thing for everyone

In time it might mean that things like WINE have a second option for shaders in games - at which point Michael . would be able to benchmark them and let us know which is more performant!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              In time it might mean that things like WINE have a second option for shaders in games
              Regular Wine is not compiling HLSL, it translating DXBC (DirectX bytecode), so I'm not sure how that would be helpful. It will be useful to those who are making source ports though.

Comment

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, this will be mostly helpful for getting people who already use a cross platform engine (Unity, Unreal, etc) to more easily target Linux with a more guaranteed compatibility since this is now an official tool from MS.
                Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  It's also on MacOS.

I don't know enough of the graphics internals to comment, but if someone can translate what is written in this documentation page (in their source) in layman terms it would be great. https://github.com/google/DirectXSha.../DxcOnUnix.rst

oiaohm
                  Unfortunately I don't do enough with direct x to answer how badly limited that is. By what is disabled there will be some limitations. The fact they cannot run the proper test suite is a major problem at this stage as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    So, if I'm understanding this correctly, this will be mostly helpful for getting people who already use a cross platform engine (Unity, Unreal, etc) to more easily target Linux with a more guaranteed compatibility since this is now an official tool from MS.
                    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                    Pretty much. Although as i recall, the SPIR-V backend is mostly maintained by Google, so it may or may not be 100% complete and bug free. The front-end HLSL parser is the official MS one though.

I believe there are 2 major camps right now with ports, with some people using this tool (on windows, previously) and others using glslang, which is closer to the SPIR-V camp but may not support HLSL as fully as this tool does.

Comment

Working...
                    X