Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Vulkan Driver Should Now Work Much Better With DXVK For Direct3D 11 Wine Gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RADV Vulkan Driver Should Now Work Much Better With DXVK For Direct3D 11 Wine Gaming

    Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Should Now Work Much Better With DXVK For Direct3D 11 Wine Gaming

    For those relying upon DXVK for running Direct3D 11 games over Vulkan with Wine, the RADV Vulkan driver from Mesa Git should now be working out much better for this fast-developing graphics translation layer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...xes-Good-Shape

  • #2
    You know it would be quite interesting seeing benchmarks for Wine. Especially in comparision to Windows and possible even native Linux applications. I don't know how stable it would be and how hard it would be to make such thing, but interesting nevertheless. Especially because of all those performance improvements in recent time.

    Comment


    • #3
      "The proper solution is to fix LLVM but this might require a bunch of work" and then they say these fixes arent ad hoc

      Comment


      • #4
        typo:
        For those using the open-source Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver in Mesa 17.2-dev, the experience should be much more pleasant.
        This should be 18.2

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by davibu View Post
          You know it would be quite interesting seeing benchmarks for Wine. Especially in comparision to Windows and possible even native Linux applications. I don't know how stable it would be and how hard it would be to make such thing, but interesting nevertheless. Especially because of all those performance improvements in recent time.
          I actually played around with exactly this earlier today. I play World of Warcraft occationally, and I've tried some different versions. Reading about DXVK I installed it this morning. I didn't do any thorough testing, but in round numbers on my rig (i7 4770k with Radeon R9 290X). I've mentioned "outdoor" and "demanding", by this I mean "running around outdoors" which doesn't take as much GPU power and "demanding" as like 25 people fighting some boss with spell effects and whatnot ( = a lot slower).

          - Windows 10 with updated drivers and 10/10 quality settings: Not measured much, but 70-80 outdoors and didn't notice it drop much below 60 in demanding situations.

          - Linux with amdgpu drivers and Wine 2.9 staging (I think this was the version): Bad, about 20-25 fps on low settings (1 / 10) outdoors

          - Linux with wine 3.3 + pba patch: Much better, capped it to 60 fps at around 3/10 quality outdoors but dropping to 30-40 in demanding situations. Ran this at setting 1/10 with quite stable 60 fps everywhere.

          - Latest 3.9 + DXVK RADV: Can run quality setting 7/10 outdoors and around 4/10 setting in demanding situations, both at quite stable 60 fps

          These numbers are just from memory, didn't do a ton of testing, so take with a grain of salt. But I'm honestly blown away with the progress wine has made lately. I currently have a windows partition on the computer for gaming, and also been looking into VMs with GPU passthrough and similar, but with the Wine progress I'm leaning towards just running that for simplicity.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
            "The proper solution is to fix LLVM but this might require a bunch of work" and then they say these fixes arent ad hoc
            This most definitely is an ad-hoc workaround for a bug deeper in their stack. The Vega-specific scissor workaround that you called ad-hoc most definitely isn't - while the proper solution would be to fix the hardware, you cannot fix existing hardware.

            The alternative in this particular issue would be widespread GPU hangs in a very large number of games, and I'm sure most people would find that unacceptable.

            Comment


            • #7
              Anyone try Resident Evil 4? It's dynamic lighting was still having problems with wine and wine-staging last I checked.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yesterday I compared how ELEX works with DXVK vs Windows. On Windows 10 at ultra settings I had 73 FPS in Tavar near a Doctor home, on Wine + DXVK at ultra settings I had 39 FPS (I tried to reduce settings to low, however FPS remain the same, so it's a CPU bottleneck). It's not a bad result IMO when we will look how young is DXVK project.
                My config: Ryzen 1600X + 16GB 3200MHz RAM + RX580 8GB (Radeon Software 18.5.1 drivers on Windows and one week old Mesa drivers from Padoka PPA on Ubuntu 18.04).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nadro View Post
                  Yesterday I compared how ELEX works with DXVK vs Windows. On Windows 10 at ultra settings I had 73 FPS in Tavar near a Doctor home, on Wine + DXVK at ultra settings I had 39 FPS (I tried to reduce settings to low, however FPS remain the same, so it's a CPU bottleneck). It's not a bad result IMO when we will look how young is DXVK project.
                  My config: Ryzen 1600X + 16GB 3200MHz RAM + RX580 8GB (Radeon Software 18.5.1 drivers on Windows and one week old Mesa drivers from Padoka PPA on Ubuntu 18.04).
                  IIRC , dev said one time there is not so much room for performance improvements.

                  Feel free to correct me , which i would be happy if that is not the case

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nadro View Post
                    On Windows 10 at ultra settings I had 73 FPS [...], on Wine + DXVK at ultra settings I had 39 FPS
                    That's actually terrible and shouldn't happen, that's the kind of performance you'd expect with wined3d + pba (or even worse than that). But as Leopard mentioned there's really not much room for general improvements of that scale. Most optimizations these days are in the 1-3% range and it's impossible to just make a game run twice as fast.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X