Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan-Powered Dota 2 For macOS Released, Linux Comparison Tests Incoming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vulkan-Powered Dota 2 For macOS Released, Linux Comparison Tests Incoming

    Phoronix: Vulkan-Powered Dota 2 For macOS Released, Linux Comparison Tests Incoming

    Back when Vulkan for macOS/iOS was announced at the end of February thanks to the opening up of MoltenVK for mapping Vulkan atop Apple's Metal graphics API, Valve announced they would be bringing Dota 2 on Vulkan to Mac. Today that milestone has finally been reached...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ulkan-Released

  • #2
    You could consider building a hackintosh which contains the same hardware as contained in modern-ish macs? If you're only using it for benchmarking purposes out of curiosity, I can't see how that would hurt.

    Sure, you might need to babysit it from time to time during upgrades, but that ought to be a surmountable hurdle?

    Comment


    • #3
      Hackintosh please: Linux vs Windows vs OSX. If you don't have the right hardware for an hackintosh you can always run KVM with pci passthrough and run all the tests inside the vm (an Hackintosh vm, another one with linux and another one with Windows).
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ermo View Post
        You could consider building a hackintosh which contains the same hardware as contained in modern-ish macs? If you're only using it for benchmarking purposes out of curiosity, I can't see how that would hurt.

        Sure, you might need to babysit it from time to time during upgrades, but that ought to be a surmountable hurdle?
        Massive PITA, it's so much cheaper (time is money) to just buy a working mobo+heatsink of a modern Apple laptop and use an external screen.

        Comment


        • #5
          I will be more interested in seeing the MacOSX Vulkan via metal vs native openGL results than the comparison to Linux numbers.
          Let's see how efficient MoltenVK is.

          Comment


          • #6
            Can we have webvulkan now ? Successful 3A studios and framework makers alike are using molten vk

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Michael,

              Dan from Valve here. For your benchmarking, please grab updated libMoltenVK.dylib from this issue https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dot...ment-393898084 . There was a bug causing vsync to always be enabled on macOS which will definitely reduce the mac benchmarks. It'll be fixed in the next Dota update too.

              Thanks.

              - Dan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dang_valve View Post
                Hi Michael,

                Dan from Valve here. For your benchmarking, please grab updated libMoltenVK.dylib from this issue https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dot...ment-393898084 . There was a bug causing vsync to always be enabled on macOS which will definitely reduce the mac benchmarks. It'll be fixed in the next Dota update too.

                Thanks.

                - Dan
                Great timing, thanks for the info - was just beginning with prepping and updating the macOS updates for testing.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post

                  Great timing, thanks for the info - was just beginning with prepping and updating the macOS updates for testing.
                  The fix just shipped in the latest Dota 2 update. So as long as you are up-to-date overlaying libMoltenVK.dylib from the github issue should no longer be necessary. Happy benchmarking!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is it just me, or there is a freeze in the video on vulkan @45s, and on both at 55?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X