Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXUP: Taking Direct3D 10 To 11 For Running On Vulkan

Phoronix: DXUP: Taking Direct3D 10 To 11 For Running On Vulkan

While there is VK9 for getting Direct3D 9 implemented over Vulkan and then the very successful DXVK for running Direct3D 11 over Vulkan with a focus on Wine games and then also the less mature VKD3D for Direct3D 12 over Vulkan, there hasn't been a solution for those wanting Direct3D 10 accelerated by Vulkan. But an indirect solution is now in the works via DXUP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds fantastic :-) Translating DX10 to DX11 and then run it on DXVK will probably work well! At least DXVK alone is working great already especially when considering the short development period.

Comment

Thank you the support and the lovely article.

The git repo is here: https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/dxup

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post
        Thank you the support and the lovely article.

The git repo is here: https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/dxup
        Welcome to the forums. Whops, link is in the article now, busy day and was an oversight earlier in missing that.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks. Lurked for years, first time poster.

It runs Just Cause 2 currently, but not through DXVK. Basic tests and other apps work through DXVK however, but the Just Cause 2 not working in DXUP -> DXVK I am pretty sure is a DXVK bug as it works using regular DirectX 11 on Windows.

The main reason I decided to do it outside of DXVK is so that any bugs could be identified as either DXVK or in the DX10->11 translation incredibly easy.

People keep asking me, does it run Crysis?
          Answer: I have no idea! Crysis just flat out doesn't work for me without any changes either in Wine or in Windows 10, it seems to be brokeded. If anyone has any ideas on how to get that working, please let me know. I've tried all the workarounds on the Steam community forums and tried some cracks, no change.

Thanks for the article and please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

DXVK does run great, and with specific patches for wine-staging you can run SkyrimSE and Fallout4 at 50-60fps on high-max settings with tweaked ini files, and godrays enabled (some people can't run them). Oh did I mention that FPS is at 4k?, well yep. (1080ti)

Anyway the issue I have is finding a working mod manager for these latest bethesda games, a real challenge since the newer ones need .NET on wine64 install which I can only partially get working it seems (at some point programs always hit a unexpected error). Mod Organizer 2 would be nice if the VFS was rewritten for linux compatibility, I'm no coder so fat chance of that.

Nexus and Vortex mod managers have crashes at specific points, vortex almost tricks you into believing it will work until installing a mod, and it falls over.... Bethesda games kinda don't work without mods, just too boring and vanilla and I despise manual installing mods (gets ultra messy fast!).

EDIT: Turns out you can use python version of wrye bash.
            Last edited by theriddick; 02 May 2018, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Crysis has a gold rating with wine 2.19. So it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

People keep asking me, does it run Crysis?
                Answer: I have no idea! Crysis just flat out doesn't work for me without any changes either in Wine or in Windows 10, it seems to be brokeded. If anyone has any ideas on how to get that working, please let me know. I've tried all the workarounds on the Steam community forums and tried some cracks, no change.

Thanks for the article and please let me know if you have any questions.
                The Steam packaging of Crysis only have the 32 bit executable and indeed seems broken. If you can, grab the GOG version when it goes on sale. That one had the 64 bit executable and work without hacks, at last for me.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

The Steam packaging of Crysis only have the 32 bit executable and indeed seems broken. If you can, grab the GOG version when it goes on sale. That one had the 64 bit executable and work without hacks, at last for me.
                  I've got Crysis Warhead on Steam and that works fine. I've spent my time today getting both Crysis Warhead and Just Cause 2
                  - Working under DXUP
                  - Working with DXUP and DXVK

They are now fully playable aside from occasional crashes and some minor graphical issues (caused by both DXUP & DXVK)
                  I also set up an appveyor if anyone wants to try some builds out.

A d3d9 and d3d10 to d3d11 translation layer. Contribute to Joshua-Ashton/dxup development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                  X