Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Developers Are Creating Their Own Vulkan Loader Library

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine Developers Are Creating Their Own Vulkan Loader Library

    Phoronix: Wine Developers Are Creating Their Own Vulkan Loader Library

    While mainline Wine development code has enough Vulkan support that it can run the few Windows Vulkan games like Wolfenstein and DOOM along with the Vulkan code samples and the Vulkan information utility, it's currently dependent upon the Windows Vulkan SDK being manually installed on the system. That's now changing with Wine developers working on their own Vulkan loader library...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-Own-Vulkan-1

  • #2
    In other words AMDGPU-PRO will not be supported where you have both OSS and AMDGPU-GPU Vulkan implementations present (which is probably always)?

    Comment


    • #3
      DXVK is way to go , no need for repeating same processes over and over again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Leopard View Post
        DXVK is way to go , no need for repeating same processes over and over again.
        this is needed for DXVK to even work

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          In other words AMDGPU-PRO will not be supported where you have both OSS and AMDGPU-GPU Vulkan implementations present (which is probably always)?
          No, because there's an additional layer of indirection. vulkan-1.dll -> winevulkan ICD -> libvulkan.so.1 -> whatever ICD you have installed on your system. You don't need to support multiple drivers to support multiple devices.

          DXVK is way to go , no need for repeating same processes over and over again.
          What? DXVK relies on this and these patches will make it so much easier to set up and use.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

            this is needed for DXVK to even work
            I think i should have been much more clear:
            There is no need for inventing wheel again , just pull it from DXVK.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Leopard View Post

              I think i should have been much more clear:
              There is no need for inventing wheel again , just pull it from DXVK.
              As far as I know, DXVK has no such thing, unless I missed something?

              Last thing I read, you needed to install the Vulkan SDK (from lunarG?) either manually or trough winetricks. Hardly an out-of the box experience. This should fix it.

              Plus, layers should be supported by libvulkan.so.1, as written above, even if not supported by the DLL. So, say steam/wine cannot inject its overlay in the rendering pipeline (for now), but if you launch yourgame/steam/wine trough steam/linux, you should have it (though probably not with the game-specific features). It's getting complicated, but that's my understanding.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm not sure if that's as good. Easier would be to simply install it like gecko as default.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                  There is no need for inventing wheel again , just pull it from DXVK.
                  DXVK relies on existing loader, it doesn't implement one. That's why you had to install Vulkan SDK in Wine prefix to use it. With this loader, it won't be necessary.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Plus, layers should be supported by libvulkan.so.1, as written above, even if not supported by the DLL. So, say steam/wine cannot inject its overlay in the rendering pipeline (for now), but if you launch yourgame/steam/wine trough steam/linux, you should have it (though probably not with the game-specific features). It's getting complicated, but that's my understanding.
                    I think it means you can't inject Windows Vulkan layers, but you still can inject Linux ones naturally. Layers are added as dynamic libraries by the loader. So Windows loader won't have that option, but Linux loader to which it all in the end translates, still has them. So this is only a minor issue, since if you really need Windows layers, you can use Vulkan SDK loader which supports them (not sure though, how Wine will need to be configured between the two).
                    Last edited by shmerl; 27 March 2018, 12:01 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X