Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

Because the driver is not the same.
    So Vulkan windows utilizes hardware resources differently than Vulkan linux? That makes them essentially two different APIs that just share a common name doesnt it?

Why would the driver be different? I am not an engineer or developer but I suppose a vulkan command should compile into machine language the same way* on both systems.

Can you give a more comprehensive response on that?

*Given that hardware is exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by papajo View Post

So Vulkan windows utilizes hardware resources differently than Vulkan linux? That makes them essentially two different APIs that just share a common name doesnt it?

Why would the driver be different? I am not an engineer or developer but I suppose a vulkan command should compile into machine language the same way* on both systems.

Can you give a more comprehensive response on that?

*Given that hardware is exactly the same.
      An API is just the names of functions and libraries you use in your source code. It has nothing t do with hardware or even performance.

In order for the OS to be able to talk to the hardware, it needs a driver. Windows and Linux are very different OSes, so they need different drivers (although it can be done so they share most of their code, like in NVIDIA's case).

The performance of the hardware directly depends on the performance of the driver.

Now, on top of the driver, you can implement libraries and runtimes in order to make it easier to use the hardware. That'd be OpenGL, Vulkan or Direct3D, and you end with a driver-specific implementation of that API.

So, it goes something like this:

Program uses API > driver-specific API implementation > OS-hardware specific driver > actual hardware

Even with the same program, same API and same hardware, when changing between OSes (or drivers within the same OS!) you will notice very important differences in performance:

Vulkan > RADV > amdgpu kernel module > AMD GPU

Vulkan > AMDVLK > amdgpu kernel module > AMD GPU

Vulkan > AMDVLK > Windows driver > AMD GPU

Similarly, for NVIDIA there are huge difference between using the NVIDIA binary driver and nouveau, even if you use OpenGl in both cases:

OpenGL > nouveau (mesa) > nouveau (kernel) > NVIDIA GPU

OpenGL > NVIDIA blob > NVIDIA kernel modules > NVIDIA GPU

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

Do you have any benchmark results? I looked for them but found none.

On my Vega I don't see performance differences between RADV, AMDVLK and Windows...
        Phoronix has posted some direct comparisons for RADV and windows vulkan performance in the past. However nothing recent, I think the last he did was 2-3 months back if you check in the archives.

Comment

Out of curiosity, are there any Vulkan titles for Windows that aren't (or won't be) ported to Linux? I'm not being flippant, I'm legitimately wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Out of curiosity, are there any Vulkan titles for Windows that aren't (or won't be) ported to Linux? I'm not being flippant, I'm legitimately wondering.
            DOOM and Wolfenstein.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              DOOM and Wolfenstein.
              Hmm I thought DOOM was Linux-compatible; apparently not. I didn't know Wolfenstein had Vulkan support. Both games are published by Bethesda so I guess it's not too surprising.

Comment

Hmm I thought DOOM was Linux-compatible; apparently not. I didn't know Wolfenstein had Vulkan support. Both games are published by Bethesda so I guess it's not too surprising.
                Elder Scrolls Online has been datamined to have a "Vulkan" string as a backend option (besides "OpenGL" [Mac only], "D3D11" or the old "D3D9" it used to have), so it may have a Vulkan backend for its engine in the working.

Comment

Wolfenstein uses the same engine as Doom.

Comment

its fairly easy to run those games on linux though.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      Typo:
                      X11, Wayland, and ANdroid for dealing
                      This, and actually I think it should be SurfaceFlinger, or Android's SurfaceFlinger, as the article is mentioning display servers/protocols.

Comment

Working...
                      X