Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan WSI Support Is The Latest Being Worked On For Wine

Phoronix: Vulkan WSI Support Is The Latest Being Worked On For Wine

Following more Wine Vulkan code being merged and the first milestone being achieved of vulkaninfo working, Roderick Colenbrander has submitted his latest patches in the bring-up of Vulkan support under Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can somebody dumb it down (while still being a little technical :P ) and explain why does vulkan need to be worked on for wine?

I mean vulkan is nativelly supported in linux right?

Can't wine just wrap the windows specific calls and "pass through" all the 3d graphics api stuff if its vulkan and not d3d?

Comment

Originally posted by papajo View Post
      Can't wine just wrap the windows specific calls and "pass through" all the 3d graphics api stuff if its vulkan and not d3d?
      That is exactly what these Vulkan patches for wine do. They don't implement a hardware driver, they implement a passthrough driver which uses the system's Vulkan driver, while translating the Windows-specific bits to something that Linux Vulkan drivers understand (i.e. the WSI extensions that are mentioned in the article).
      Last edited by VikingGe; 12 March 2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
        That is exactly what these Vulkan patches for wine do. They don't implement a hardware driver, they implement a passthrough driver which uses the system's Vulkan driver, while translating the Windows-specific bits to something that Linux Vulkan drivers understand (i.e. the WSI extensions that are mentioned in the article).
        So essentially we are looking at similar FPS performance on full-screen 3D games given that the hardware is the same the CPU is not 100% utilized by the game and that the game runs vulkan?

Comment

So essentially we are looking at similar FPS performance on full-screen 3D games given that the hardware is the same the CPU is not 100% utilized by the game and that the game runs vulkan?
          Barring driver performance difference between Windows and Linux, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

Barring driver performance difference between Windows and Linux, yes.
            Why would there be a driver performance issue when the hardware(GPU) is the same and the api is the same ?

Comment

Why would there be a driver performance issue when the hardware(GPU) is the same and the api is the same ?
              Because the driver is not the same.

Comment

The windows vulkan driver still fairs better then RADV by a decent margin (20-30%). RADV is coming along however, won't be long before its on par with windows performance.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  The windows vulkan driver still fairs better then RADV by a decent margin (20-30%). RADV is coming along however, won't be long before its on par with windows performance.
                  Do you have any benchmark results? I looked for them but found none.

On my Vega I don't see performance differences between RADV, AMDVLK and Windows...

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    X11, Wayland, and ANdroid for dealing

Comment

Working...
                    X