• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    Apple will be irrelevant in 10 years.
    It can't come soon enough, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

I guess we know different groups of people. I don't know anyone that writes in Swift. C, C++, Python, Ruby, Javascript, C#, Java, Go and Rust yes. Swift? No.

Must be for those few people clinging to their iThings. Macbooks died in tech. So did their user's iPhones. At the rate the people I know are shedding their Apple things, Apple will be irrelevant in 10 years.
      Well. I said the same in the 90s.. Apple could change again, but it is about time they had to at least try a little again.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Swift is worse than Rust. And it's being pushed by Apple, so no, thanks.
        That it has Apple chanpioning it is why Swift has a future that looks brighter than Rust. These days for a language to be successful it needs a lsrge user base which idnt easy to develope. I like to refrence Python in these discussions because pythons wide adoption really help to seal its place at the head of the scripting languages.

Another example is the world of LLVN/Clang which by the way Apple also shepard. The openness of that project has lead to very wide adoption and a whole lot of innovation. Key to getting LLVM off the ground was Apples initial support.

There are good reasons to not like Apple but their support of open source isnt one of them. If nothing else Apples push with LLVM/Clang has resulted in huge improvements to GCC. Apple has had a very positive impact on the open source world.
        Last edited by wizard69; 09 March 2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          I'm using a driver written in Python for my Waveshare 7" touchscreen. And in 10 years time Poettering will have completely ruined Linux so Apple will be the only real alternative to government-mandated Windows. Sieg heil the homeland!
          Er... Poettering will have ruined Linux by doing what, exactly? By developing Avahi and systemd, presumably, in other words by bringing to Linux near exact replicas of what Apple has developed too. So basically you are whining that Linux is no longer 1972-style sh!tty Unix and that's why you want to move to Apple. Oh the irony,

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Well. I said the same in the 90s.. Apple could change again, but it is about time they had to at least try a little again.
            Contrary to some opinions here im not die hard Apple, my current laptop is an HP and my cell phone is an iPhone 4 of all things. However Apple does do somethings right and in the case of Cell Phones i will likely stick with them. The primary reason is that a cell phone is a tool for me thst always needs to work.

Given that i really dont understand the hate Apple gets in this forum! Mac OS is basically the only Unix OS out there targeted at individual user. Frankly it is a very good platform!

Now that isnt to say Apple is perfect, there is much they do wrong in my opinion but no company is perfect. Even Redhat gets crap thrown at them.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It can't come soon enough, too.
              I really doubt Apple will disappear. What they will be selling as computers though wont be what most here consider to be a PC.

speaking of being around in ten years i suspect Linux will have an even harder time on the desktop in ten years. The reason is AI tech which is right at the bleeding edge of implementation. I havent notice serious discussions about Ai in the kernel nor in user space. This will need to happen though if Linux wants to remain a player on the desktop or in andvanced applications.

I actually see a day when Bash is replaced by an AI. Ultimately the AI will need to be tied into an OS faitly deeply.
              Last edited by wizard69; 09 March 2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I really doubt Apple will disappear. What they will be selling as computers though wont be what most here consider to be a PC.

speaking of being around in ten years i suspect Linux will have an even harder time on the desktop in ten years. The reason is AI tech which is right at the bleeding edge of implementation. I havent notice serious discussions about Ai in the kernel nor in user space. This will need to happen though if Linux wants to remain a player on the desktop or in andvanced applications.

I actually see a day when Bash is replaced by an AI. Ultimately the AI will need to be tied into an OS faitly deeply.
                I really don't see any place for AI in the kernel, whether on Linux or any other OS. At the hardware/microcode/hypervisor level, possibly yes in some form as a way to achieve greater reliability and performance, but a kernel's role is really complex but ultimately dumb. That's very unlikely to change and Apple or Microsoft aren't developing any AI-featured kernels either. Oh and Bash is not part of the kernel at all.

In userland applications, there is and will be a huge deployment of various things that fall under the "AI" term, but that will affect Linux, Apple or Windows equally, There are various FOSS "AI" libraries and frameworks available for Linux app developers right now.

Comment

I really don't see any place for AI in the kernel, whether on Linux or any other OS. At the hardware/microcode/hypervisor level, possibly yes in some form as a way to achieve greater reliability and performance, but a kernel's role is really complex but ultimately dumb. That's very unlikely to change and Apple or Microsoft aren't developing any AI-featured kernels either. Oh and Bash is not part of the kernel at all.

In userland applications, there is and will be a huge deployment of various things that fall under the "AI" term, but that will affect Linux, Apple or Windows equally, There are various FOSS "AI" libraries and frameworks available for Linux app developers right now.
                  Just saying, I'm pretty sure what he is asking for is something like the computers from Star Trek. He wants his computer to make him a hot Earl Grey tea.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Well, I'll just say this for Perl, if you find yourself using sed a lot then you should probably try perl.
                    Not to shit on Perl (it's not bad), but any decent language has 2-3 orders of magnitude better string manipulation functions than shell+CLI tools.

Mostly because shell is NOT a programming language and should NOT be used as such.

Comment

If the current trend is anything to go by, I'm afraid it's much more likely to be written in Electron :-(
                      ??? Isn't that a framework to build web-application-like local applications?

Did it achieve programming language status while I wasn't watching?

Comment

Working...
                      X