Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    And it shall be written in rust
    Rust has no future. One would be better off using Swift if they really felt the need to use modern programming methods. This is due mainly to the rapid adoption of Swift and thus the large community of developers that is becoming available. It is the difference between a language that will burn out in a couple of years and one that will be here decades from now. Sort of like what happened to Perl and Python - one died and the other has become a go to language.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Rust has no future. One would be better off using Swift if they really felt the need to use modern programming methods. This is due mainly to the rapid adoption of Swift and thus the large community of developers that is becoming available. It is the difference between a language that will burn out in a couple of years and one that will be here decades from now. Sort of like what happened to Perl and Python - one died and the other has become a go to language.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
        is time to start discussing the deprecation of opengl ( in addition to open cl which khronos had already been planning ) then . How are translation layers from this apis to vulkan going ?
        OpenGL isn't going anywhere... it was born out of the CAD industry, and it will probably be there for many many years to come. They aren't so much depreciating it as putting it in maintenance mode.

Comment

Cb88 By maintance mode you mean feature freeze ?

Comment

I almost forgot , does this features mean than going forward compositors and graphics toolkits will be compatible with android drivers without any modifications ? ( If Google doesn't go out of its way to stop that )

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
              May I ask for a source for the claim that OpenCL is going to be deprecated?
              I don't think the statement was "deprecated" as much as "converged with Vulkan over time":

“By finalizing OpenCL 2.2, Khronos has delivered on its promise to make C++ a first-class kernel language in the OpenCL standard,” said Neil Trevett, OpenCL chair and Khronos president. “The OpenCL working group is now free to continue its work with SYCL, to converge the power of single source parallel C++ programming with standard ISO C++, and to explore new markets and opportunities for OpenCL — such as embedded vision and inferencing. We are also working to converge with, and leverage, the Khronos Vulkan API — merging advanced graphics and compute into a single API.”
              Test signature

Comment

By that I assume swift users have already built safe , zero cost bindings , like vulkano ; would that even practical ?

Comment

This is due mainly to the rapid adoption of Swift
                  swift is "rapidly adopted" only because it is mandated for apple slaves. just like objective c was "rapidly adopted". so, how many languages were killed by objective c adoption?

Comment

I guess we know different groups of people. I don't know anyone that writes in Swift. C, C++, Python, Ruby, Javascript, C#, Java, Go and Rust yes. Swift? No.

Must be for those few people clinging to their iThings. Macbooks died in tech. So did their user's iPhones. At the rate the people I know are shedding their Apple things, Apple will be irrelevant in 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      swift is "rapidly adopted" only because it is mandated for apple slaves. just like objective c was "rapidly adopted". so, how many languages were killed by objective c adoption?
                      forgot C# in that list, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X