No announcement yet.

AMD May Have Accidentally Outed Vulkan 1.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For multi-media, VDPAU, VAAPI, and OMX are supported by the gallium drivers for AMD GPUs. The AMD packaged drivers ship the gallium multi-media drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      I wouldn't label VDPAU dead, it may be decoding only, but it was the first and only really widely supported API by all the userspace programs.
      VDPAU *is* dead. Nvidia has abandoned it in favor of nvdec (which is shared with their Windows driver), so it would need to be further developed independently of Nvidia, but the open source devs don't want to bother when VAAPI is around.

What VDPAU's dead-ness means in practice is that it's missing 10bit support, it's missing VP9 decoding, it's missing Wayland support, the opengl interop uses fields instead of frames which in 2018 is just dumb. Also, the Nvidia vdpau driver is screwed up with HEVC (it works with the native vdpau output, but it does not work correctly with copy-back or with opengl interop).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        For multi-media, VDPAU, VAAPI, and OMX are supported by the gallium drivers for AMD GPUs. The AMD packaged drivers ship the gallium multi-media drivers.
        Does OMX (Tizonia) support decode/encode with all hw supported formats? and is VCN fully working in linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          VDPAU *is* dead. Nvidia has abandoned it in favor of nvdec (which is shared with their Windows driver), so it would need to be further developed independently of Nvidia, but the open source devs don't want to bother when VAAPI is around.

What VDPAU's dead-ness means in practice is that it's missing 10bit support, it's missing VP9 decoding, it's missing Wayland support, the opengl interop uses fields instead of frames which in 2018 is just dumb. Also, the Nvidia vdpau driver is screwed up with HEVC (it works with the native vdpau output, but it does not work correctly with copy-back or with opengl interop).
          Maybe, but in some cases, I've found using the vdpau to vaapi translator more efficient than using direct vaapi. VLC is an example I can think of. And this was on a pure AMD system. VAAPI is the future, but they've got work to do on the AMD side at least, both framebuffer and decode. Perhaps it's a different landscape on Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Maybe, but in some cases, I've found using the vdpau to vaapi translator more efficient than using direct vaapi. VLC is an example I can think of. And this was on a pure AMD system. VAAPI is the future, but they've got work to do on the AMD side at least, both framebuffer and decode. Perhaps it's a different landscape on Intel.
            VAAPI definitely has more work to do to get into decent shape, but that doesn't make VDPAU any less dead. It will obviously hang around for a while longer but it's already missing important features that people want and that's getting worse every day that goes by.

Comment

I've found using the vdpau to vaapi translator more efficient than using direct vaapi. VLC is an example I can think of.
              That's because only VLC 3 has zero-copy VAAPI, previous versions only have copy-back. And even in VLC 3, zero-copy VAAPI only works on Intel, because it uses the older Intel-only EGL interop, the new interop that works everywhere is only in the recently released libva-2.1.

VAAPI is the future, but they've got work to do on the AMD side at least, both framebuffer and decode.
              AMD's native VAAPI output might indeed be lacking, but EGL interop (requires libva-2.1 and mesa-git for now) works very well. So I'd say the "they've got work to do" part is already done in mesa-git. You also need a player that uses the new libva-2.1 interface, mpv-git does and the Kodi folks are working on it, no clue when VLC will get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                That's because only VLC 3 has zero-copy VAAPI, previous versions only have copy-back. And even in VLC 3, zero-copy VAAPI only works on Intel, because it uses the older Intel-only EGL interop, the new interop that works everywhere is only in the recently released libva-2.1.

AMD's native VAAPI output might indeed be lacking, but EGL interop (requires libva-2.1 and mesa-git for now) works very well. So I'd say the "they've got work to do" part is already done in mesa-git. You also need a player that uses the new libva-2.1 interface, mpv-git does and the Kodi folks are working on it, no clue when VLC will get to it.
                I'm not on mesa-git, just mesa (arch "stable", mesa 17.3.3), and EGL/GLES crashes all the time. It's seen really great improvement, and I'm optimistic-ish. I'm sure it's better on Intel, but on amd rx 480, it's really not that great.

Comment

There's no point in releasing Vulkan 1.1 until 1.0 is more widely used. It would just cause 1.0 being abandoned as it's "outdated", and developers not even considering 1.1 as it could become "outdated" again by 1.2, before anything even uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                    LOL, wat he said. 🤯 All the tecnical yada yada doesn't matter if it keeps locking up my system. Same goes for benchmark numbers... who cares how many FPS when you can't play anything for more than a couple minutes.
                    Didn't you have NVIDIA GPUs?

Also, what is this sorcery with the emoticons?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      There's no point in releasing Vulkan 1.1 until 1.0 is more widely used. It would just cause 1.0 being abandoned as it's "outdated", and developers not even considering 1.1 as it could become "outdated" again by 1.2, before anything even uses it.
                      How many developers used DX10? Not many, but they still made DX11, and that was used widely. Adoption and usage are always years behind the standard.

Comment

Working...
                      X