Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD May Have Accidentally Outed Vulkan 1.1

Phoronix: AMD May Have Accidentally Outed Vulkan 1.1

AMD on Wednesday released the Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Edition 18.Q1 for Linux driver. It really isn't noticeable for its official changes, but does claim to advertise Vulkan 1.1 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just hope it retains hardware compatibility. If Kepler and GCN 1.0 aren't compatible, this may be a turnoff to game devs, and could be a win for DX12.

Comment

Also, VAAPI in the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
        Also, VAAPI in the proprietary driver.
        Hasn't the AMDGPU-PRO driver been using the open-source VAAPI/VDPAU stacks for like years now? AFAIK.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Hasn't the AMDGPU-PRO driver been using the open-source VAAPI/VDPAU stacks for like years now? AFAIK.
          I see. The arch wiki only mentions VDPAU for AMDGPU-PRO, but apparently VAAPI is mentioned in these release notes from October. I didn't think AMDGPU-PRO used any Gallium stuff. So that just leaves Nvidia holding out on VAAPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Only VDPAU. If they've now added VAAPI, that's indeed cool, considering VDPAU is dead.
            Last edited by Gusar; 15 February 2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Khronos PR rep: "Thanks for checking. That indeed was a miscommunication and has since been corrected."
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would be much more impressed if AMD "outed" a release with at least the most serious stability issues fixed and resumes from S3 working again. Soon it will be one year after I bought my Ryzen + amdgpu system, and seriously, experiencing its (now mostly GPU-related) instability keeps me from any further acquisition of such a system, for both private and professional use. Even if amdgpu supported Vulkan 3.0 and OpenGL 7, this would not make those instabilities more tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I see. The arch wiki only mentions VDPAU for AMDGPU-PRO, but apparently VAAPI is mentioned in these release notes from October. I didn't think AMDGPU-PRO used any Gallium stuff. So that just leaves Nvidia holding out on VAAPI.
                  The PRO driver uses Mesa for VDPAU and VAAPI.

Comment

I wouldn't label VDPAU dead, it may be decoding only, but it was the first and only really widely supported API by all the userspace programs.

And back in the days AMD/ATI's blob only had XVBA.

On Vulkan 1.1: Well, AMD is one / the(?) major inventor of mantel/Vulkan, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're already working on support for being Vulkan 1.1 ready. To already label it Vulkan 1.1 (and not "ready") is maybe a bit early if you consider the official specs aren't yet released.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X