The app itself could ask of course.
    You are awesome! Thanks bro!

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

You are awesome! Thanks bro!
      I deserve no credit, I coded 0 line for this

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

It is quite far from being a major problem.

And even then, since the 2 drivers can be installed side by side, nothing prevents you from only supporting one of them and telling your users to use that one.
        That's pretty much what they do with distributions already.
        You must be really out of touch with reality if you think any game developer/distributor will consider Linux as a platform with it's <1% marketshare AND problems like "only some driver/hw combinations supported". Especially if one group chooses RADV and the other AMDVLK for optimizing. It's just unrealistic. One has to be absorbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

You must be really out of touch with reality if you think any game developer/distributor will consider Linux as a platform with it's <1% marketshare AND problems like "only some driver/hw combinations supported".
          Well it's actually been the case for years: up to say a year ago people would run either mesa or amdgpu-pro/catalyst and yet we still had devs pushing games to us, usually only supporting one of the 2 drivers.

Welcome to reality!

Comment

Well it's actually been the case for years: up to say a year ago people would run either mesa or amdgpu-pro/catalyst and yet we still had devs pushing games to us, usually only supporting one of the 2 drivers.

Welcome to reality!
            And that's why most commercial games that are ported to Linux don't support AMD at all. Reality indeed!

Comment

And that's why most commercial games that are ported to Linux don't support AMD at all. Reality indeed!
              The current best sellers are at 3 out 10, not so close to "most" I would say.
              And yet your point was not that devs don't support AMD customers but that they were not porting to Linux:
              "You must be really out of touch with reality if you think any game developer/distributor will consider Linux as a platform with it's <1% marketshare AND problems like "only some driver/hw combinations supported""

Something happened in between?

Comment

The current best sellers are at 3 out 10, not so close to "most" I would say.
                And yet your point was not that devs don't support AMD customers but that they were not porting to Linux:
                "You must be really out of touch with reality if you think any game developer/distributor will consider Linux as a platform with it's <1% marketshare AND problems like "only some driver/hw combinations supported""

Something happened in between?
                I have to concede on being "forced out of the ring" when it comes to contradicting myself here but my main point still stands I think. AMD's approach to drivers on linux is a huge mess with too many incomplete choices. It's been like this for years and it's hurting them on adoption.

3/10 AAA titles is still a pretty substantial loss just due to crappy drivers.

Comment

I have to concede on being "forced out of the ring" when it comes to contradicting myself here but my main point still stands I think. AMD's approach to drivers on linux is a huge mess with too many incomplete choices. It's been like this for years and it's hurting them on adoption.

3/10 AAA titles is still a pretty substantial loss just due to crappy drivers.
                  I agree with all of that
                  Well maybe not the choice of "crappy", but let's not argue on that.

They are making good progress on most fronts though, even more with the hybrid pro installer than can install the mesa drivers (apart from AMDVLK). AMDVLK is really the only standing mess I think (having 2 somewhat officials drivers, one by AMD and one by the community and game devs), and they only did a late delivery to create it.
                  Last edited by geearf; 04 February 2018, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X