Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK Official Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Updated

Phoronix: AMDVLK Official Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Updated

It's been one month now since AMD open-sourced their official Vulkan driver code and the associated XGL code-base. There has been about weekly code drops of new AMDVLK/XGL code over the past month while the separate, community-driven Mesa-based RADV Vulkan driver continues being developed as well...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...K-January-2018

So totally un-bisectable then

Comment

I'm waiting for them to switch to upstream llvm, and for Debian to package amdvlk.

Comment

Still not seeing the point of AMDVLK when RADV works very well. Also how does one switch to AMDVLK from RADV?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          So totally un-bisectable then
          Yeah that does not seem that friendly :/

I'm still using radv for now, but I'd gladly use this instead if it was better, which I don't think it is yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            Still not seeing the point of AMDVLK when RADV works very well. Also how does one switch to AMDVLK from RADV?
            You can easily have multiple Vulkan ICD on your computer and pick the one you want to use when starting an app, it's not a problem.

Comment

Still using RADV, because it just works for the most part and frankly can't be bothered to experiment with the AMDVLK code yet. If the performance improves to a point where it's clearly better than RADV, I will look at making the switch then. But upon release it was performing worse than it's closed source windows version, which seems pretty odd!

Comment

With Mesa 17.3.3, now also mpv vk rev2 works with RadV and is faster than OGL with ewa_lanczos.

Comment

Now that important bits are open sourced I hope AMD makes radeonSI cross platform and replace their closed source GL driver with it. This would bring a lot symmetry between their pro and non pro driver stack and hopefully save lots of amd cash.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
                    Now that important bits are open sourced I hope AMD makes radeonSI cross platform and replace their closed source GL driver with it. This would bring a lot symmetry between their pro and non pro driver stack and hopefully save lots of amd cash.
                    Extremely unlikely to happen.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X