Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot Enable S3 Texture Compression with padoka-ppa & driconf - VMware Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Enable S3 Texture Compression with padoka-ppa & driconf - VMware Acceleration

Hi,

The other night I tried a fresh Ubuntu MATE 16.04 install onto a new SSD. I've found previously that the padoka-ppa drivers work well for 3D Acceleration with VMware Workstation installed running a Windows 7 guest for gaming, as long as you used driconf and on the Image Quality tab, set Enable S3TC Texture compression even if software support is not available to Yes.

In the past, the following worked - these are from my notes which worked fine a number of times:

Install Ubuntu MATE 16.04 - ticking the Download Updates while installing and Install third-party software options

In Software & Updates - Other Software, tick Canoical Partners

From a terminal run:

sudo add-apt-repository ppaaulo-miguel-dias/mesa
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Then reboot

From a terminal run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install driconf

Then go to System - Preferences - Hardware - 3D Acceleration to open the driconf panel

On the Image Quality tab, set Enable S3TC Texture compression even if software support is not available to Yes

Then reboot.

The problem is, when I run driconf, on the Image tab, there is no Enable S3TC Texture compression option at all. There are now very few options and most of them have a 0 or 1 setting.

This seems very strange - the version of driconf is still 0.91 - several years old, so it is not as if the software has been updated.

Trying to run a VMware Workstation Windows 7 virtual machine with 3D acceleration seems to result in VMware saying that there is no acceleration available from the host. This worked fine before when I could change the setting in driconf.

When I run VMware form the terminal, I see:

neil@ubuntu:~$ force_s3tc_enable=true /usr/bin/vmware %U
    Fail to open executable: No such file or directory

But VMware starts anyway and still complaints about a lack of 3D acceleration.

Is there another way to enable S3TC without driconf so that it is set so that when the machine boots up and I am logged in that it is automatically enabled? Or is there a way to fix driconf to show the Enable S3TC Texture compression as it used to?

There's nothing in the logs in /var/log/vmware/host-d.log pointing to any 3D issues.

The output of glxinfo | grep string is:

neil@ubuntu:/var/log/vmware$ glxinfo | grep string
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series (TONGA / DRM 3.9.0 / 4.10.0-42-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.4.0-devel - padoka PPA
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.4.0-devel - padoka PPA
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.4.0-devel - padoka PPA
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10

Any help is much appreciated, as I am rather stumped. given that this is a completely clean install, using steps that worked perfectly in the past.

Many thanks,
    Neil
Working...
X