Mesa Grew By Nearly 250,000 Lines Of Code In 2017 Across 10k Commits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Grew By Nearly 250,000 Lines Of Code In 2017 Across 10k Commits

Phoronix: Mesa Grew By Nearly 250,000 Lines Of Code In 2017 Across 10k Commits

For those wondering Mesa's rate of change last year while adding in many OpenGL 4.5~4.6 features, a lot of Vulkan driver activity, countless performance optimizations, and the plethora of other work that took place in 2017, here are some numbers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please also report on the number of freckles on devs faces compared to last year.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Please also report on the number of freckles on devs faces compared to last year.

Comment

Thanks for the info, really. But...

Why is VMware the biggest contributor? I don't get it. They code there their drivers for paravirtualization, right? I can't understand why that code makes them the biggest contributor, maybe they do some extra stuff but I'm still unable to look at that stuff fastly.

It would be nice the next time to put a summary about what they were coding all these time... :P

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          It would be nice the next time to put a summary about what they were coding all these time... :P
          Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Thanks for the info, really. But...

Why is VMware the biggest contributor? I don't get it. They code there their drivers for paravirtualization, right? I can't understand why that code makes them the biggest contributor, maybe they do some extra stuff but I'm still unable to look at that stuff fastly.

Gallium3D was started by Tungsten Graphics that later was acquired by VMware.

IIUC they use it for their virtual GPUs
            Last edited by Nille_kungen; 02 January 2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              Gallium3D was started by Tungsten Graphics that later was acquired by VMware.

IIUC they use it for their virtual GPUs
              Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for the clarification!

Yet they are unable to provide DirectX 12 support on their virtualization products? Why?

Comment

Working...
              X