Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's An ARM Mali Gallium3D Driver Still Being Developed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • There's An ARM Mali Gallium3D Driver Still Being Developed

    Phoronix: There's An ARM Mali Gallium3D Driver Still Being Developed

    Making the rounds this weekend online as a "new" ARM Mali open-source driver is what we wrote about back in June as A New Mali-400 Open-Source Graphics Driver Is In Development...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ium3D-November

  • #2
    Mali 400 is also found in some Exynos CPUs, like the Exynos 4210. Can Android make us of this driver though?

    Comment


    • #3
      yuq is working towards working functional H3 support. His work should go in tandom with https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ux-android-7-n although Mali-450 on the H5 is somewhat of another battle. It will take roughly a year before it's in good enough shape to do some serious damage once the compilers for the shader cores are done.

      He is seeking assistance so if some people want to step up and make it a group effort instead of an one man effort, it will make a much bigger impact. We can provide some financial support and free stuff. Lima is kind of on life support and yet S905X, RK3328, and H3/H5 are all using it.

      Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Both kernels do not have gpu accelerated graphics, the 8 core cpu can render youtube videos fine. The mainline kernel does not have audio implemented yet.
      http://linux-meson.com/doku.php
      We have been working with BayLibre to improve GXL (S905X) significantly. There's a 3D accelerated 4.13 branch with HDMI audio here: https://github.com/libre-computer-pr...ibretech-linux and image here: http://share.loverpi.com/board/libre.../image/ubuntu/. The 4.14 branch with Mali binary acceleration should land in a week or two. x11-arm is not terribly optimized so the acceleration is wasted. Wayland on 18.04 should have much better 3D once the work is done.
      Last edited by LoveRPi; 11-25-2017, 11:40 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
        Mali 400 is also found in some Exynos CPUs, like the Exynos 4210. Can Android make us of this driver though?
        Probably, but the main issue on Android is the modem/radio package. Without an updated BSP/SDK for a newer kernel/Android version it's usually not possible to run a newer Android anyway.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
          although Mali-450 on the H5 is somewhat of another battle.
          Is it very different?

          I've got me one of these boards here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...dev-board-for/
          and I was hoping it wouldn't be too long until there's something with at least basic acceleration for X.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

            Meson mainline kernel have had 3d acceleration for S9005X a long time. They have also hdmi audio working on some devices. S912 does have Mali-T820MP3 and no 3d acceleration.
            AFAIK Amlogic didn't buy the Linux Mali DDK for S912 so you are SOL on that one. Your best bet is libhybris from Android. Things like Khadas VIM2 will not get 3D support under Linux.

            Mali's closed-source userspace is available for H5. We were talking about an open source RE.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post

              AFAIK Amlogic didn't buy the Linux Mali DDK for S912 so you are SOL on that one. Your best bet is libhybris from Android. Things like Khadas VIM2 will not get 3D support under Linux.

              Mali's closed-source userspace is available for H5. We were talking about an open source RE.
              Why talk only?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Probably, but the main issue on Android is the modem/radio package. Without an updated BSP/SDK for a newer kernel/Android version it's usually not possible to run a newer Android anyway.
                Yeah, my phone is still running kernel version 3.0 despite having been updated to Android Nougat.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a good news to share with you that mesa-lima can support kmscube now. The status of mesa-lima can be found here: https://github.com/yuq/mesa-lima/wiki

                  This is a big milestone for mesa-lima that indicates we have all components (kernel driver, mesa, shader compiler) working together to be able to support a well know 3D demo. So please join mesa-lima for enriching the functionality (i.e. texture support, FBO, new HW support) and optimization (i.e. shader compiler, kernel MM, task scheduler), let's make all open source mali400 driver the early realization!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X