AMDGPU+RadeonSI Is Much Faster Than The Old Proprietary Fglrx Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU+RadeonSI Is Much Faster Than The Old Proprietary Fglrx Driver

Phoronix: AMDGPU+RadeonSI Is Much Faster Than The Old Proprietary Fglrx Driver

With going back to test Ubuntu 14.04 through Ubuntu 17.10's Radeon OpenGL performance as part of marking AMD's open-source strategy turning a decade old, I also took this opportunity while having an old Ubuntu installation running to also re-test the former Catalyst/fglrx driver stack that's since been succeeded by AMDGPU-PRO and AMDGPU+RadeonSI.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic work and progress. Long term support, development and security is exactly what we need open source drivers for!

Comment

What settings did you use for the unigine benchmarks? I get about 1/2 those frame rates for my 270x.

Comment

Well for my GPU HD5850 now is worse. In old fglrx I have silence GPU fan. Now on open source + DRM/Radeon my gpu fan work on 100% speed when it show only desktop :/

Comment

sadly I cannot enjoy AMDGPU+RadeonSI (or even Radeon+RadeonSI) at my laptop discrete SI GPU - R5 M230
          - because of this bug which gives kernel panic while booting:

So much time has passed, but it looks like that nobody at AMD cares to fix it.
          I tried multiple times to contact AMD, they told they will check out the bugs at freedesktop but no real changes...
          At the moment, only FGLRX gives me the opportunity to use a discrete GPU, but sadly its too old and not open source and requires lots of other old software

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
            Well for my GPU HD5850 now is worse. In old fglrx I have silence GPU fan. Now on open source + DRM/Radeon my gpu fan work on 100% speed when it show only desktop :/
            what version you have? kernel, etc? it's probaly some bug

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

what version you have? kernel, etc? it's probaly some bug
              I have Radeon HD 5850 1GB from Sapphire. This GPU: http://www.benchmark.pl/uploads/back...sapphire1D.jpg

Don't know. I test it on various distro, from Ubuntu 15.04,15.11,16.04,17.04, 17.10 and OpenMandriva lx3, Fedora 25/26, Mageia 6. Still the same. Only on old distros with fglrx installed my GPU fan is silence. Tested various kernel old 3.18-3.19, 4.0, 4.1 or 4.4 up to all new like 4.10, 4.11, 4.12, 4.13. Can't fix it.
              When I pick up old HDD with windows 7 installed and booting into Windows, my GPU fan is silence - work like on linux with fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

I have Radeon HD 5850 1GB from Sapphire. This GPU: http://www.benchmark.pl/uploads/back...sapphire1D.jpg

Don't know. I test it on various distro, from Ubuntu 15.04,15.11,16.04,17.04, 17.10 and OpenMandriva lx3, Fedora 25/26, Mageia 6. Still the same. Only on old distros with fglrx installed my GPU fan is silence. Tested various kernel old 3.18-3.19, 4.0, 4.1 or 4.4 up to all new like 4.10, 4.11, 4.12, 4.13. Can't fix it.
                When I pick up old HDD with windows 7 installed and booting into Windows, my GPU fan is silence - work like on linux with fglrx.
                You should file a bug report, it's probably an easy fix: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist...on&product=DRI

Fan control was implemented a couple of years ago. The issue might just be something like your card's PCI ID not being recognized.

Comment

Michael what happened to your 290 card? Is it being used in another setup? Or you retired it because RX 480 have similar perf and lower TDP?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    Michael what happened to your 290 card? Is it being used in another setup? Or you retired it because RX 480 have similar perf and lower TDP?
                    There is the R9 290 issue again with Radeon DRM but works fine in AMDGPU. But yeah now it's back in a 4U chassis I believe so not easy to compare.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X