Marek Begins Working On Possible OpenGL Compatibility Profile For Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Begins Working On Possible OpenGL Compatibility Profile For Mesa

Phoronix: Marek Begins Working On Possible OpenGL Compatibility Profile For Mesa

Well known open-source AMD graphics driver developer Marek Olšák has sent out patches offering ARB_compatibility support with OpenGL 3.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news, I guess that I'll be finally able to play Dying Light and some other games without having to boot to Ubuntu some time next year (proprietary drivers from AMD), hopefully. :-)

Comment

Huh? Workstation? OpenGL games like DOOM 2016 and No Man's Sky are using OpenGL 4.x Compatibility Profile... Older games like Homeworld are using the OpenGL 3.x Compatibility Profile...

This stuff is pretty much relevant if you want to use the native OpenGL renderer in games inside WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
        Great news, I guess that I'll be finally able to play Dying Light and some other games without having to boot to Ubuntu some time next year (proprietary drivers from AMD), hopefully. :-)
        I play Dying Light using radeonsi, it just needs an override

Comment

Wow, I got surprised for a second. Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Compat Profilw

Comment

Great, another step toward killing the blob.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I play Dying Light using radeonsi, it just needs an override
              Which mesa version and which override?
              They changed something recently (DL, I think, there were at least two updates recently), now it just shows nothing instead of crashing. :-D

Comment

i wonder how many amd people working on linux blob will be able to move to work on opensource linux driver in the end

Comment

I would guess not that much. Maybe there are 1 or 2 people making the os agnostic blob compatible with Linux, but not that much more. AMD will still need to keep the blob alive for other OS options, so nothing will really change.

Comment

I thought the devs had decided upon not ever supporting the compatibility profiles, to keep the driver leaner and more stable.

Comment

Working...
                    X