Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etnaviv Landing Performance Counters For Linux 4.15

Phoronix: Etnaviv Landing Performance Counters For Linux 4.15

Lucas Stach has sent in the Etnaviv DRM driver changes to DRM-Next for the Linux 4.15 kernel. This is one of the bigger pull requests for this reverse-engineered, open-source Vivante graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will we be seeing benchmarks of any of this, including against the closed-source drivers? I don't recall ever seeing any benchmarks for these SoCs. Nowadays, i.MX6 devices are relatively cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Will we be seeing benchmarks of any of this, including against the closed-source drivers? I don't recall ever seeing any benchmarks for these SoCs. Nowadays, i.MX6 devices are relatively cheap.
      I don't think I have any supported hardware
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        If you are interested in testing these, the cheapest board I'm aware of is the UDOO Neo Basic, which is $50:
        UDOO is a family of Open Source Arduino-powered Mini PC compatible with Windows, Android and any Linux Distro.

But you might want the Full version since that has ethernet:
        UDOO is a family of Open Source Arduino-powered Mini PC compatible with Windows, Android and any Linux Distro.

There could be cheaper alternatives, but I'm not aware of anything that offer USB, Ethernet, and HDMI on-board.

Most i.MX6 models with 2+ cores start at around $100, but if you're mostly just tracking the functionality and performance of Etnaviv, I figure these single-core systems ought to be "good enough".
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 13 October 2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If I remember correctly you should have an CompuLab Utilite somewhere in your stack of hardware. At least there was an article about this on some 3 years ago. You should be able to install something like Fedora for ARM on that thing, which would allow you to test Etnaviv.

It will probably be a lot harder to get the blob running, so side-by-side tests may not fly.

Comment

Yeah, he probably won't even be able to run the same kernel version on ARM hardware when comparing drivers, since much of the ARM universe has their closed drivers linked with older kernels, while only the newest kernels have the open drivers. And it's hard to remove other constraints like system memory and I/O. Not to mention there's not going to be nearly as many 3D applications that run on ARM.

But at least he could track performance across builds, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Yes compared to Core i7, but there's quite a bit of competition among ARM boards. I wouldn't call $100 for a dual core cheap. With $100 you can have three RPi3s or 10 Orange Pis.. both quad-core.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Yes compared to Core i7, but there's quite a bit of competition among ARM boards. I wouldn't call $100 for a dual core cheap. With $100 you can have three RPi3s or 10 Orange Pis.. both quad-core.
                You get a bit more than just the dual core for 100$.

And Orange Pi is just one of many random shit SBCs with Allwinner SoCs and Mali GPU.

Comment

IIRC GCW zero was a gaming handheld with Vivante GPU, they were also using Etnaviv. Of course, it mainly ran emulators for older console games.

Comment

How do these counters count the "Landing Performance"?

Comment

Working...
                    X