Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OVR_multiview Extension Completed For More Efficient OpenGL VR

Phoronix: OVR_multiview Extension Completed For More Efficient OpenGL VR

The OVR_multiview OpenGL Extension developed via the OpenVR initiative has been around for several months in an incomplete form for allowing more efficient virtual reality (VR) rendering while now the extension is complete...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is OpenGL even suitable for VR?
    Or does it have too much overhead and perhaps Vulkan is what is needed?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Modern OpenGL is AZDO.

Comment

Seeing how most PC VR titles use D3D11 (to my knowledge at least) I can't see why OpenGL wouldn't be suited for VR use. Low level APIs like Vulkan and D3D12 are obviously better suited to the requirements of VR (constant high frame rates and no big dips being the biggest), but so far they haven't been absolutely necessary. They probably will become that once developers start populating their VR worlds with more and higher detailed objects rather than the more spartan visuals of titles like Job Simulator.

Comment

If you look at https://highfidelity.com/, they default to an OpenGL 4.5 renderer (they have a 4.1 renderer too) and I believe they use quite some modern extensions https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi...l/src/gpu/gl45

If you want to try it on linux you probably want my master branch https://github.com/ChristophHaag/hifi
          I was really surprised how well it runs in VR on radeonsi.

Anyway,
          The OVR_multiview OpenGL Extension developed via the OpenVR initiative
          Really? The OVR prefix was really only used by oculus for all their stuff and the contributors
          Code:
          Contributors

John Carmack, Oculus
              Tom Forsyth, Oculus
              Maurice Ribble, Qualcomm
              James Dolan, NVIDIA Corporation
              Mark Kilgard, NVIDIA Corporation
              Michael Songy, NVIDIA Corporation
              Yury Uralsky, NVIDIA Corporation
              Jesse Hall, Google
              Timothy Lottes, Epic
              Jan-Harald Fredriksen, ARM
              Jonas Gustavsson, Sony Mobile
              Sam Holmes, Qualcomm
              Nigel Williams, Qualcomm
              Tobias Hector, Imagination Technologies
              Daniel Koch, NVIDIA Corporation
          don't make me think otherwise...

Comment

I would argue "suitable" is relative. I wouldn't say OpenGL is bad for VR, but DX12 and Vulkan are definitely better. As long as OGL is still in use, anything to improve upon it is a welcome change.

Every millisecond counts. OGL is just one of many things that could use some reduced latency for a nausea-free experience.

Comment

Why still wasting efforts in OpenGL? This is only slowing down the migration to Vulkan.

Comment

Working...
              X