Initial Gallium3D VC5 Driver Merged Into Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willmore View Post
    Since they never used 64-bit mode on the Rpi3, normal users aren't really missing anything.
    Care to elaborate? I am running a nice openSUSE Tumbleweed, 64bit, including KVM on my RPI3 ...

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post
      Care to elaborate? I am running a nice openSUSE Tumbleweed, 64bit, including KVM on my RPI3 ...
      It's reasonable to assume that for "normal users" he meant people using the raspi foundation distro on the raspi (raspbian?)

Comment

supports modern OpenGL desktop features
        What are those features?
        What OpenGL features and core version can it support?

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
          FWIW, there seems to finally be a page for this SoC: https://www.broadcom.com/products/br...op-box/bcm7251

There isn't enough info to say wether it's suitable for a Rpi4 type of application. I seems to have a lot of dedicated interfaces to STB relevant chips, but it's entirely possible that those could also be disabled and used as GPIO. The chips used in the existing Rpi boards were STB chips as well.

This chip offers interfaces to 802.11ac wireless, PCI 3.0, GigE, DDR3/4. It also has two of their Brahma15 cores, FWIW. From what I can tell that core is a Coretex-A15 variant with improvements to its power efficiency. On this process (28nm) it can run up to 1.5GHz.
          No SATA III interface(s)? Why would they make a System-on-a-Chip (SoC) for Set-top Boxes (STBs) without at least one of those?
          And the Phoronix article mentions the BCM7268, not the SoC you provided a link for.
          Last edited by plonoma; 13 October 2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
            No SATA III interface(s)? Why would they make a System-on-a-Chip (SoC) for Set-top Boxes (STBs) without at least one of those?
            Not a lot of modern media centers have Sata ports or a slot for a whole hard drive as their target is low-IT-understanding people, while USB 3.0 is more common and requested.

Besides, with PCIe 3.0 it is not a major issue for OEMs to just add a Sata controller with all ports they think they might need, or any other device-specific payload that isn't so popular to warrant an integration in the SoC proper.

Comment

Working...
            X