Mesa GL Threading Gets Flipped On For More Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
    Why is Saints Row The Third on the list, but not Saints Row IV? I think they use the same engine and have been ported by the same company.
    Add Gat Outta Hell to that, as well, I guess.

And all of them perform horribly compared to the Windows versions. I'll be keen to see if this threading is enough to keep me from booting to Windows next time I want to play them.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
      Why is Saints Row The Third on the list, but not Saints Row IV? I think they use the same engine and have been ported by the same company.
      maybe it wasn´t tested yet. if you could test the impact for that game you can contribute your findings here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/P..._Mesa_glthread

Comment

If someone could expose some gaming experience on Linux it would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by toojays View Post

Add Gat Outta Hell to that, as well, I guess.

And all of them perform horribly compared to the Windows versions. I'll be keen to see if this threading is enough to keep me from booting to Windows next time I want to play them.
          I agree with you on the horrible performance with SR2. SR3 and 4, though, using a recent enough version of Mesa do perform pretty much as well as the Windows version - provided you don't use a composited desktop (I tried with Unity, then Xfce with compositing enabled and then compositing disabled), which due to the way the game deals with full screen eats a LOT of performance (framerate cap at 25 fps, more or less, with compositing enabled; disabling it reaches vsync, disabling vsync hits the hundreds).

Yeah, disabling compositing is a trick the ports' developer gave me in the Steam discussion boards. The result was like night and day.

That the initial Windows port left much to be desired and the Linux wrapping didn't improve things much is really true though.

Comment

Working...
          X