Mesa 17.2 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Update your system to Debian testing or make a clean install (backup your data first), jessie has tons of bugs and security holes. Then you can use Oibaf ppa zesty version. For more information, see the second message:
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
    Do not recommend using a ppa in Debian. Just don't.
    Saying that Jessie has a ton of bugs and recommending Debian testing+Padoka PPA is like saying:
    "Hey, I see your log house has termites... it won't if you burn it down!"

Comment

Speaking of LLVM, is there a guide on how to build LLVM so that it actually works with Mesa? I'd like to test mesa-git+LLVM 5.0 (or 6.0 or whatever) without messing around with my system, but so far I haven't managed to get a working build with custom LLVM, libgl would always complain about missing drivers (which it doesn't when I use the default --with-llvm-prefix=/usr).

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
        Speaking of LLVM, is there a guide on how to build LLVM so that it actually works with Mesa? I'd like to test mesa-git+LLVM 5.0 (or 6.0 or whatever) without messing around with my system, but so far I haven't managed to get a working build with custom LLVM, libgl would always complain about missing drivers (which it doesn't when I use the default --with-llvm-prefix=/usr).
        Code:
        git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
        git clone http://llvm.org/git/llvm.git
        cd llvm/tools
        git clone http://llvm.org/git/clang.git
        Will set up the repos.

Then to configure (and build):
        Code:
        cd llvm
        mkdir build
        cd build
        cmake -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="X86;AMDGPU" -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS="ON" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" ..
        make -j<number of cores> #omit -j if you want a slower build on a multi-core machine. :)
        sudo make install #just installing to /usr/local (default) works fine on my machine)
        And again for Mesa:
        Code:
        cd mesa
        mkdir build
        cd build
        ../configure --with-dri-drivers= --with-gallium-drivers=r600,radeonsi --enable-opencl
        make -j<number of cores>
        sudo make install
        Then run 'sudo ldconfig' to update the cache of shared libraries. Oh, and put the following in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf before running ldconfig:
        Code:
        /usr/local/lib
        /usr/local/lib64

Hope that works for you. It's been working fine for me for some time now.

EDIT: If you mess something up, and assuming you only have Mesa and LLVM+Clang in /usr/local, just delete /usr/local and rerun sudo ldconfig.

Comment

Thanks a lot, this helped me figure out what I've been doing wrong all the time - forgot to include the LLVM library path in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH (I 'installed' everything into my home directory for testing). It's working now.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            Hopefully the Padoka Stable PPA will pick it up soon

... Or should I really change to Ubuntu-X??
            - Padoka is always quicker for LTS
            - Ubuntu-X always updates the latest Ubuntu version first then iteratively makes its way backwards in older versions.

So for example...
            As of right now (06/09/2017 Australia AEST),
            - With Padoka Stable, 17.2 is available for 16.04 LTS.
            - With Ubuntu-X, only 17.1.2 is available for 16.04 LTS
            - With Ubuntu-X, 17.1.8 is available for 17.04

So Ubuntu-X is slower but caries "a little more official" badge. LTS will get 17.2 eventually but will take more time assuming it passes what we would hope would be their official team's more rigorous testing. (don't know if this is true?)

Comment

There is llvm5 around the corner:

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                There is llvm5 around the corner:
                Which breaks pretty much everything that is more complex than glxgears:

Guess I'll have some bug reports to file...

Comment

Yep, something strange happened, DeusEx reach 2fps but unigine heaven and Tomb Raider works good. You build it yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                    You build it yourself?
                    Yes, although I tested mesa-git with a custom LLVM 4.0.1 build as well and that one works just fine.

Comment

Update your system to Debian testing or make a clean install (backup your data first),
                      Hello and thank you for the suggestion!

Upgrading from jessie->stretch is no small task for plasma-desktop users (such as myself). For me to migrate from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5, I would need to be able to run them side-by-side for a while, until I figure out how to get Plasma 5 to match my current Plasma 4 setup.

jessie has tons of bugs and security holes.
                      At this point, I've pretty much figured out workarounds to all the unfixed bugs that affect me in jessie.
                      As for security holes; jessie is still covered by the Debian Security team and receives important patches promptly in my experience.
                      If you know security holes in jessie, you should definitely file a security bug against them!

Anyways.. I was able to build Mesa 17.2 / libdrm 2.4.83 in a jessie-backports chroot with LLVM4.0 (via http://apt.llvm.org/)
                      I ended up just copying all the built libs under /opt/mesa and using it like this:

Code:
                      % LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mesa LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/opt/mesa EGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/opt/mesa DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep OpenGL                           
                      OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                      OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series (AMD TONGA / DRM 3.15.0 / 4.12.9, LLVM 4.0.1)
                      OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.0
                      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
                      and in Steam, you can go to Game -> Properties -> Set launch options: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mesa LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/opt/mesa EGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/opt/mesa %command%

Some random bits I used:
                      Code:
                      mesa 64-bit build:
                      % autoreconf -vfi
                      % ./configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/opt/mesa --includedir=\${prefix}/include --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\${prefix}/share/info --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-silent-rules --libdir=\${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --libexecdir=\${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --disable-maintainer-mode --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-dri "--with-dri-drivers= i965 radeon" --with-dri-driverdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri --with-dri-searchpath=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\\\$\${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri "--with-vulkan-drivers= intel radeon" --enable-osmesa --enable-glx-tls --enable-shared-glapi --enable-texture-float --disable-xvmc --disable-omx --enable-driglx-direct --enable-gbm --enable-dri3 "--with-platforms=x11,drm" --enable-xa --enable-llvm --enable-opencl --enable-opencl-icd ac_cv_path_LLVM_CONFIG=llvm-config-4.0 --enable-vdpau --enable-va --enable-gallium-extra-hud --enable-lmsensors "--with-gallium-drivers= nouveau svga virgl r600 r300 radeonsi swrast" --disable-gles1 --enable-gles2
                      % make -j8

libdrm 64-bit build:
                      #!/bin/bash
                      PROJECT=/opt/mesa
                      export PATH=$PROJECT/install/bin:$PATH
                      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PROJECT/install/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                      export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PROJECT/install/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
                      export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I $PROJECT/install/share/aclocal $ACLOCAL_FLAG"
                      ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/mesa
                      make -j8

llvm/clang libs also needed to be in there:
                      % sudo cp /chroot/jessie/usr/lib/llvm-4.0/lib/*.so* /opt/mesa
                      Links:

https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building/

Rust (the game) feels much more responsive now! Worth it! YAY!

Comment

Working...
                      X