Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AmanithVG Brings Fast OpenVG To Linux, OpenGL ES Rendering

Phoronix: AmanithVG Brings Fast OpenVG To Linux, OpenGL ES Rendering

AmanithVG is a new library implementing the Khronos OpenVG 1.1 vector graphics 2D API. This library supports OpenVG rendering using a software/CPU-based approach or in turn using OpenGL / OpenGL ES 1.1...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...anithVG-OpenVG

AmanithVG has been around for over 10 years. I'd hardly consider it a "new library."

Comment

Wasn't it dropped because no one was using OpenVG?

Comment

Originally posted by zerotri View Post
        AmanithVG has been around for over 10 years. I'd hardly consider it a "new library."
        Hmm the developer working on it seemed to indicate new, also he seems to have got it up on Khronos.org now too.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Some of the code is dated 2004-2017 Mazatech, which would correspond with the original versions.

Good to see that they're making it more accessible though. I was working on a product using OpenVG a few years back and we considered using Amanith but very little was available to try out. There does seem to be more platform support now with and it looks fairly straightforward to try out. Definitely making some good moves on their end.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Wasn't it dropped because no one was using OpenVG?
            The mesa OpenVG state tracker was dropped.

Qt has an OpenVG backend..

Comment

AFAIK many embedded video chips have a working OpenVG driver. Surely Broadcom VC4 comes with a fully working OpenVG implementation, but I think Mali and others have an OpenVG driver too.
              When you need straight 2D graphics OpenVG is very handy and doesn't require all the knowledge you need to master OpenGL and OpenGL ES

Comment

I wonder how performance compares to ShivaVG. hmm..

Comment

Yes, I remember that most OpenVG related stuff was kicked from mesa. Besides, it seemed that not all HW(drivers) would support it and a lot of userspace programs (on desktop systems at least) would not make use of it. I wonder if they could rather use OpenGL or something instead, if they do accelerate things.
                  I would have thought that e.g. inkscape could participate from it, but then OpenVG in mesa is gone, a pure CPU implementation might be slower (though it depends on the CPU) and inkscape is relatively slow with releases. (But it definitely needs better acceleration!)
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

seeing as this article was tagged as free software i think it's worth pointing out that while AmanithVG is open source it is not free software, it's still under a proprietary license that restricts its usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X