3D OpenGL Acceleration For Windows Guests On QEMU Using VirGL/VirtIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
    The Windows Mesa/Gallium code is sitting there pretty much bit-rotting away since there's apparently no interest in open drivers on Windows.
    Probably not Windows-proper, but ReactOS perhaps…?

Comment

Originally posted by spike411 View Post

Probably not Windows-proper, but ReactOS perhaps…?
      That's actually a really good idea.

Comment

I need to test this under ReactOS. I've been able to run Caligari TrueSpace and an old version of 3D Studio Max under ReactOS and if I can get OpenGL acceleration working modelling/manipulation performance should be awesome. Rendering can just be pushed out to a cluster of Linux PCs.

Comment

A comment in the blog post talks about WDDM, so I assume this won't even work in XP or 2k3, and I presume not in ReactOS.

If this works, perhaps there will be a lot of interest in porting it to Windows 2000/XP/2003 and also ReactOS.

And actually while the warning is apropos that this is won't work for much or most gaming, it would be great still. You gain access to late 90s, early 00s OpenGL games and indirectly Glide games. Other games have both a D3D and an OpenGL renderer (or even Glide renderer), which you can choose in settings or a command line flag.

Comment

QEMU with Virgil 3D is finally enabled on Ubuntu 18.04 UCA! :-D

Just run:

sudo add-apt-repository cloud-archive:stein
            sudo apt update
            sudo apt full-upgrade

And enjoy a 3D Enabled QEMU 3.1 on Ubuntu 18.04! No GPU Passthrough required... ;-)

I just tried this on ReactOS, it failed.

Since this is super new, I'll try different settings... So far, only virtio-vga have 3D option (not the QXL one), also, there is a need to enable OpenGL for the "Display SPICE" on KVM guest.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Yes, looks like it. Qemu was updated to support virgl, but then reverted back in Debian because "server" people complained about unwanted dependencies. Quite a mess. So this work needs to be redone now and packages somehow refactored.
              Sounds like a Qemu might need to be refactored to be more pluggable so this could be handled by shipping a library and a configuration to load it

Comment

Working...
              X