Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 17.1.7 Being Prepped For Release

Phoronix: Mesa 17.1.7 Being Prepped For Release

For those continuing to use the Mesa 17.1 stable series until the imminent debut of Mesa 17.2, the 17.1.7 point release is around the corner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

there are nearly three dozen fixes in this release.
    Or more precisely, 25. I think that's closer to 2 dozen than 3.

Comment

Did they accidentally fix something in R600?

Comment

And Debian testing is still stuck with Mesa 13.0.6 because of this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=866354

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use Oibaf ppa.
          It's Ubuntu targeted, I doubt it's a good idea to use it with Debian. I build Mesa from source anyway, but it's just annoying to make a custom script with all the dependencies, especially work around llvm idiosyncrasies because of its lack of multiaprch support.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            And Debian testing is still stuck with Mesa 13.0.6 because of this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=866354
            Debian is old crap.

I used to work on an embedded product with Debian on it; it always gave me trouble because the software Debian carries is old old old.
            I had to backport lots of packages to get important features and bugfixes into the product.
            I hate it with a vengeance just because of that.

And don't reply with 'Debian is stable' because the is a difference between stable and just carrying old old software that most distros no longer use.
            Last edited by fhuberts; 20 August 2017, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Guess what, Zesty is made from Debian testing and that's why it is compatible. Mesa takes a very long time to compile (30-60 min) and it is difficult to config. I have tried couple times without luck and I am sw developer pro. I have used Oibaf ppa with Debian testing Xfce several years without problems. Many other Debian users use ppas too, that's why in my link is a link to ppas in Debian instructions.
              It's not hard, if you just copy Debian's own build configuration command, and just tweak it to use newer llvm

It's building pretty fast on my Ryzen 7 1700X using make -j 16.

I put some instructions here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/B...sa_from_source
              though they are a bit out of date (I'm now doing it with llvm-5.0 already). I'm just lazy to update that page, until newer Mesa won't roll into Debian testing.
              Last edited by shmerl; 20 August 2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Any news on developments for this? I actually use Debian Stable, so I'm waiting for backports, which can't come if the package doesn't migrate .

I haven't seen any new uploads on the llvm side...

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Any news on developments for this? I actually use Debian Stable, so I'm waiting for backports, which can't come if the package doesn't migrate .

I haven't seen any new uploads on the llvm side...
                  It might get cleared now that gcc-7 became the default.

Comment

Working...
                  X