Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 17.1.7 Being Prepped For Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesa 17.1.7 Being Prepped For Release

    Phoronix: Mesa 17.1.7 Being Prepped For Release

    For those continuing to use the Mesa 17.1 stable series until the imminent debut of Mesa 17.2, the 17.1.7 point release is around the corner...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Mesa-17.1.7-RC

  • #2
    there are nearly three dozen fixes in this release.
    Or more precisely, 25. I think that's closer to 2 dozen than 3.

    Comment


    • #3
      Did they accidentally fix something in R600?

      Comment


      • #4
        And Debian testing is still stuck with Mesa 13.0.6 because of this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=866354

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          And Debian testing is still stuck with Mesa 13.0.6 because of this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=866354
          Use Oibaf ppa. How to use Debian testing, see the second message: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room

          Code:
          [email protected]:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
          OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
          OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 460 Graphics (POLARIS11 / DRM 3.18.0 / 4.13.0-rc2+, LLVM 4.0.1)
          OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.0-devel
          Last edited by debianxfce; 08-20-2017, 03:09 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

            Use Oibaf ppa.
            It's Ubuntu targeted, I doubt it's a good idea to use it with Debian. I build Mesa from source anyway, but it's just annoying to make a custom script with all the dependencies, especially work around llvm idiosyncrasies because of its lack of multiaprch support.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              And Debian testing is still stuck with Mesa 13.0.6 because of this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=866354
              Debian is old crap.

              I used to work on an embedded product with Debian on it; it always gave me trouble because the software Debian carries is old old old.
              I had to backport lots of packages to get important features and bugfixes into the product.
              I hate it with a vengeance just because of that.

              And don't reply with 'Debian is stable' because the is a difference between stable and just carrying old old software that most distros no longer use.
              Last edited by fhuberts; 08-20-2017, 05:22 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shmerl View Post

                It's Ubuntu targeted, I doubt it's a good idea to use it with Debian. I build Mesa from source anyway, but it's just annoying to make a custom script with all the dependencies, especially work around llvm idiosyncrasies because of its lack of multiaprch support.
                Guess what, Zesty is made from Debian testing and that's why it is compatible. Mesa takes a very long time to compile (30-60 min) and it is difficult to config. I have tried couple times without luck and I am sw developer pro. I have used Oibaf ppa with Debian testing Xfce several years without problems. Many other Debian users use ppas too, that's why in my link is a link to ppas in Debian instructions.
                Last edited by debianxfce; 08-20-2017, 05:28 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fhuberts View Post

                  Debian is old crap.

                  I used to work on an embedded product with Debian on it; it always gave me trouble because the software Debian carries is old old old.
                  I had to backport lots of packages to get important features and bugfixes into the product.
                  I hate it with a vengeance just because of that.

                  And don't reply with 'Debian is stable' because the is a difference between stable and just carrying old old software that most distros no longer use.
                  Debian stable is not stable and Debian testing is a totally different distribution. Debian testing does roll and you can use sid and some ubuntu packages. There is no backports in Debian testing. Debian testing Xfce works fine with a Amlogic S912 embedded device too.
                  Last edited by debianxfce; 08-20-2017, 06:03 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

                    Guess what, Zesty is made from Debian testing and that's why it is compatible. Mesa takes a very long time to compile (30-60 min) and it is difficult to config. I have tried couple times without luck and I am sw developer pro. I have used Oibaf ppa with Debian testing Xfce several years without problems. Many other Debian users use ppas too, that's why in my link is a link to ppas in Debian instructions.
                    It's not hard, if you just copy Debian's own build configuration command, and just tweak it to use newer llvm

                    It's building pretty fast on my Ryzen 7 1700X using make -j 16.

                    I put some instructions here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/B...sa_from_source
                    though they are a bit out of date (I'm now doing it with llvm-5.0 already). I'm just lazy to update that page, until newer Mesa won't roll into Debian testing.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 08-20-2017, 01:30 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X