Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.6 Released With Vulkan/SPIR-V Ingestion, Parallel Shader Compiles & Finally AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically OpenGL legacy mode will never go away because Maya and other professional 3D tools still use it for various functions. Mostly afaik related to quad/polygon rendering in their modelling engines.

Comment

So, what are people using to write SPIR-V shaders, other than GLSL? Or is the main point of it so that you can pre-compile your GLSL shaders?

And I can see the benefit of having deferred error-handling, where one can check for & handle any errors (or just the first) resulting from a batch of commands, but the idea of just dropping all errors on the floor doesn't seem right. Even for graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        And I can see the benefit of having deferred error-handling, where one can check for & handle any errors (or just the first) resulting from a batch of commands, but the idea of just dropping all errors on the floor doesn't seem right. Even for graphics.
        The point is that, with very few exceptions, OpenGL errors result from programming errors, not from the hardware/driver doing something unexpected. They require the driver to implement full parameter validation and state validation for every single OpenGL function, which is a waste of CPU time for everyone but the developers. See the spec for GL_KHR_no_error.

Comment

So, what are people using to write SPIR-V shaders, other than GLSL? Or is the main point of it so that you can pre-compile your GLSL shaders?
          I think most are actually written in HLSL. Most devs then compile that over to GLSL to run in OpenGL, and now to SPIR-V for vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            I think most are actually written in HLSL. Most devs then compile that over to GLSL to run in OpenGL, and now to SPIR-V for vulkan.
            Thanks.

Now, is that because HLSL is superior to GLSL, or simply because most games are developed on Windows/Direct3D?

Comment

Thanks.

Now, is that because HLSL is superior to GLSL, or simply because most games are developed on Windows/Direct3D?
              I'm not a pro, but I'm guessing it's because most games are developed for DX and then wrappers are used to translate to OGL. Even for Windows titles. I don't think most OGL renderers are fully native OGL. I could be wrong though I don't know enough about it.

Comment

Working...
              X