Mesa GL Thread Testing With Pentium + Core i7 & RX 580 + R9 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bosjc View Post
    Sounds like it should have a runtime flag like NVIDIA that developers (and/or users) can add to their launch scripts if it helps in a certain game.
    It does have a runtime control. I suspect that is what Michael used for this test.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

It does have a runtime control. I suspect that is what Michael used for this test.
      I guess I meant it should be more like always a runtime flag vs trying to get it on by default (or something like that).

Comment

Thank you for doing these benchmarks! I am curious why cs:go isn't included in these benchmarks? It is so popular and I want to know!

I am currently compiling mesa-git so I'll be able to test it myself soon, but it seems like my computer is re-compiling the world due to dependencies...

Comment

Originally posted by cauterized-edge View Post
          Thank you for doing these benchmarks! I am curious why cs:go isn't included in these benchmarks? It is so popular and I want to know!

I am currently compiling mesa-git so I'll be able to test it myself soon, but it seems like my computer is re-compiling the world due to dependencies...
          The benchmark mode in CS:GO recently broke and haven't had time to investigate. More than likely need to record a new demo for the benchmark but haven't had the time to investigate why it's ben breaking after a recent CS:GO update.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sounds like it should have a runtime flag like NVIDIA that developers (and/or users) can add to their launch scripts if it helps in a certain game.
            There's already an environment variable that can be set as part of something like a steam launch options script on a per-application basis. "mesa_glthread=true" if my memory serves correctly.

Comment

I do not have additional FPS in Bioshock Infinite. Distr: Arch, Linux: 4.11.9, GPU: AMD RX 460, APU: A10-7850K

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The benchmark mode in CS:GO recently broke and haven't had time to investigate. More than likely need to record a new demo for the benchmark but haven't had the time to investigate why it's ben breaking after a recent CS:GO update.
                Ah, understandable. I've been trying to maximize FPS and have also found csgo to be irritating to benchmark.

Comment

What's a good way to test this? Do I just need relatively bleeding-edge Mesa? And would this benefit games under Wine, or more specifically, games running with Gallium Nine?

I'm thinking about spinning up a Fedora 26 install with a Mesa-git copr and the Wine Gallium-nine copr.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12 July 2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I guess I meant it should be more like always a runtime flag vs trying to get it on by default (or something like that).
                    That's the idea. Basically a whitelist of games that it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      What's a good way to test this? Do I just need relatively bleeding-edge Mesa? And would this benefit games under Wine, or more specifically, games running with Gallium Nine?

I'm thinking about spinning up a Fedora 26 install with a Mesa-git copr and the Wine Gallium-nine copr.
                      I don't think that the mesa glthread feature will help Gallium/Nine. It could conceivably help Wine when wine itself is translating Direct3D calls to OpenGL (e.g. Direct3D 7/8/10/11/whatever-isn't-9).

Comment

Working...
                      X