Mesa OpenGL Threading Now Ready For Community Testing, Can Bring Big Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kparal View Post

marek, I'm testing with your suggested GALLIUM_HUD to quickly see if mesa_glthread=true is respected at all (non-zero counters), and so far it seems that glthread is internally disabled in large majority of games I tested. I did not expect it to be disabled for compatibility reasons so often. Why is that happening? Is that a bug?

Games in which I see non-zero counters:
    Bioshock Infinite, Natural Selection 2, Metro: Last Light Redux, Screencheat, Mountain, Valhalla Hills

Games in which I see just zero counters (technically, I sometimes see API-thread-direct-slots starting non-zero but immediately falling to zero, showing a short red line):
    This War of Mine, FORCED, Hand of Fate, Little Inferno, Magicka 2, Mount & Blade: Warband, Serious Sam 3: BFE, Stacking, The Stanley Parable, The Swapper, Trine, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within, Worms Clan Wars, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Super Splatters
    It's a known issue that glthread turns off in some cases. It's something that can be fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ptr1 View Post
      https://pastebin.com/VKsSSz5i

Here's my drirc with some games I quickly tested and all work so far and sometimes show noticeable difference (for me it was Serious Sam Fusion), sometimes none or litte. At least all games in the list work no problem from what I can tell.
      Do you know which games benefit from glthread on your list? For example, I'm sure DeusEx:MD performs badly with glthread and many other Feral's games might too.

Comment

• Just to correct myself, with updated wine (2.12 staging) and mesa-git 93849.f7e78abdf4-1, for standard wine D3D and CSMT performance loss of about 2% is still there, I don't know what changed (probably in wine) but with gallium nine there's performance gain of 1-2% (for one game i tested before) and that's great

Comment

• Originally posted by leipero View Post
          Just to correct myself, with updated wine (2.12 staging) and mesa-git 93849.f7e78abdf4-1, for standard wine D3D and CSMT performance loss of about 2% is still there, I don't know what changed (probably in wine) but with gallium nine there's performance gain of 1-2% (for one game i tested before) and that's great
          I don't think this should affect gallium nine at all. Sounds like you're just seeing random variation.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I don't think this should affect gallium nine at all. Sounds like you're just seeing random variation.
            It's definitely not random, I've tested on one game tho..., loading 24h map (around 20k blocks) in TMUF, with gallium nine start is always the same 87 FPS (with ghost, it goes upwards latter), when using mesa_glthread=true it always go to 89 FPS, it's repeatable, so it can't be accident, for some reason it does influence it. It hurts performance in wine D3D or CSMT, same map/position (start), with wine D3D 38 FPS (with glthread 35-36), CSMT 44 FPS (with glthread 39-40 FPS).

On the other hand, you might be right, it's such a small difference it's possible.
            Last edited by leipero; 12 July 2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• marek I sent you some glthread whitelists into email (might be in spam).

Comment

• Originally posted by kparal View Post
                marek I sent you some glthread whitelists into email (might be in spam).
                I see your email. I'm pretty busy this week. I plan to check and reply to most of my email next week.

Comment

• Does anybody see any difference in Witcher 2? I just upgraded from mesa-17.1.6 to 17.2.0-rc3, tried disabling and enabling glthread and see absolutely no performance difference on a Piledriver 3.0GHz CPU. When glthread is enabled, API-thread-offloaded-slots is zero on the gallium HUD and API-thread-direct-slots is 7-8 million.
                  Last edited by puleglot; 08 August 2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X