Mesa Preparing To Support Gallium Driver Specific DRIRC Tuning Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Preparing To Support Gallium Driver Specific DRIRC Tuning Options

Phoronix: Mesa Preparing To Support Gallium Driver Specific DRIRC Tuning Options

We will likely be seeing more driver-specific per-application performance/workaround tuning within Mesa Gallium3D drivers moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Per-app improvements are not bad per se, its just that I'd like to see them as optional file in some sort of lib outside the core. Now, the good part about opening those parameters up is that we can fuzz around with them and post the best results for specific system-combinations. (So, we can add games that have no profile yet - wohoo!)

My Q here is: If the app would perform differently in OpenGL and Vulkan, would Mesa be capable to distinguish them?
    (edit: What I mean with that is: Same app has different renderers, can Mesa react to that?)

Also, Nvidia has something like "optimal settings" in Windows, as they check the impact of game-settings on the GPU and give you a "best suggestion". The combination of both might be wonderful to tweak performance.

Now, the thing is, that we as Linux users like to try around and want to have the freedom to tweak the system how we want it. As long as this option remains, I guess I'm fine with it.
    Last edited by Shevchen; 30 June 2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
      Per-app improvements are not bad per se, its just that I'd like to see them as optional file in some sort of lib outside the core. Now, the good part about opening those parameters up is that we can fuzz around with them and post the best results for specific system-combinations. (So, we can add games that have no profile yet - wohoo!)

My Q here is: If the app would perform differently in OpenGL and Vulkan, would Mesa be capable to distinguish them?
      (edit: What I mean with that is: Same app has different renderers, can Mesa react to that?)
      yes. the switch is driver spesific. RadeonSI is openGL, vulkan is a different driver.

Comment

I remember a GSoC (or maybe Outreachy?) project to replace drirc. I guess that proposal wasn't picked up?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          I remember a GSoC (or maybe Outreachy?) project to replace drirc. I guess that proposal wasn't picked up?
          IIRC this about replacing the GUI for drirc not drirc itself.

Comment

If you're talking about driconf, then yeah, that gui interface really sucks ass. We desperately needed a better interface like 8-10 years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X