Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At Our 2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results So Far

Phoronix: An Early Look At Our 2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results So Far

On Friday we launched the 2017 Linux Laptop Survey and as of this morning we're at nearly 12,000 results so far (11,879 as of writing). While there's still more than one week left to fill in the survey, here's how things are looking so far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

800 or less is very wide. My current laptop costs 99$ as new.

Comment

"Just about 10% of the respondents say their laptop came pre-loaded with Linux"

Just as I thought, we have shitty Linux support because we don't want it...

Comment

Unfortunately I can't check "Linux has enough problems on the desktop, I don't need to add a laptop to the equation" in that survey.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Unfortunately I can't check "Linux has enough problems on the desktop, I don't need to add a laptop to the equation" in that survey.
          What do you mean?
          Linux works great on many Laptops.
          It's almost like you posted an troll comment to make people react.

Comment

My current laptop is a 8+ years old Samsung N130. I would be quite happy with the same with a more decent CPU (up from the 32 bits Atom; being able to play HD videos would be nice).

My use case might not be the same as other people, but I value portability before the rest (for which I have a desktop)

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              What do you mean?
              He probably forgot to mention NVIDIA switchable graphics, or switchable graphics in general (AMD isn't much better last time I checked).

On most laptops with single GPU Linux works fine. There are some duds with fucked up ACPI tables because some moron decided to use Windows-only functions and compiler (like in a HP Envy 15 I'm currently selling off) though.

Comment

I use AMD based laptops APU+dGPU, dual GPU with AMD works great.
                Right now I'm waiting for raven ridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  I use AMD based laptops APU+dGPU, dual GPU with AMD works great.
                  Right now I'm waiting for raven ridge.
                  Depends from GPU versions, I think the 7xxx are left out in the cold as they were working in dual setups only with the blob (that was discontinued) for example, and there are probably others. I think bug77 is one of the affected ones or there was another guy on this forum asking for that.

Post-carrizo stuff (i.e. AMDGPU driver) should all work fine though.

Comment

And when is the desktop survey?

Comment

Working...
                    X