Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreakon
    replied
    If the code doesn't negatively impact anything else, I don't understand why people would have such an issue with this. Sure, in a perfect world the devs would code their games properly, but in the real world, users would blame the Mess devs for stuff not working.

Leave a comment:

• ramrod
    replied
    People in this thread need to calm down... Getting angry that a small workaround may temporally be in the Vulkan driver is a bit silly. In the mean time I'm going to play some DOOM with the open source driver. Thank you devs.

Leave a comment:

• oooverclocker
    replied
    we've never landed it because we've been hoping that a game update would come out with fixed shaders.
    Perfect.
    we're stuck working around it. Hopefully, we can delete this code one day.
    Jason, why should one switch to Linux when you introduce the same mess people are suffering on Windows in the clean new Vulkan driver code? When Bethesda is incompetent enough not to fix broken code their game simply won't work on Linux. Linus might know a shorter and more straight version how to say "hello" to this company as long as they behave that way. The open source community shouldn't be pathetic enough to support every bullshit that has been produced.

You might mean well but you are undermining Vulkan before it was helpful. You should learn to insist and fight for drivers that run every compliant game absolutely reliably. Otherwise you disadvantage developers who develop native and compliant games for Linux, you reduce the game code's quality passively and you crush the competitive long term advantage of Linux distributions over Windows.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Sad news

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by theghost View Post
    Why can't ANV/RADV make use of .drirc for such hacks?
    Because it would be precedent to target .exe games there officially, which does not mean user can't do something about it Also steam might not always like that, might require SteamAppId:number etc...

On average running Windows apps under Wine is giant mess, sort of it might work but who will support that really. So, it also something that Valve and many others officially does not support.
    Last edited by dungeon; 21 June 2017, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• theghost
    replied
    Why can't ANV/RADV make use of .drirc for such hacks?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    The thing is that such shader recompile is trivial thing to do, don't understand why ID don't make an update.
    I fully understand why they don't, because game targets Windows and work on nVidia and AMD drivers... so what else is need to be done Requirements list AMD or nVidia cards and drivers, running on Windows so that is it. VK is also just alternative renderer, if that does not work user should pick another one.

Now you wanna run it on Linux via WINE, also use different hardware and drivers and complain how something is incorrect per you. So they should fix game which don't work per current specs on something totally unsupported

If they make Linux port and explicitly say Mesa supported, well that is a point where we should complain.
    Last edited by dungeon; 21 June 2017, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I know what SPECIFICATION means, it is something that hunreads of people read and understands differently, so you need further and further revisions and clarifications until majority have similiar view

In between that process all missunderstandings and bugs should be supported, not only glorious final neverending revision of it.
    Yes, I agree that Vulkan spec will add more clarifications, but alive and kicking games must complain at least with v1.0. The thing is that such shader recompile is trivial thing to do, don't understand why ID don't make an update. Maybe some driver vendors replaced original Doom shaders for optimization ( yes, another client specific workarounds for 5 FPS more ), and changing game shaders will need driver specific optimization changes.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post

Do you have any idea what SPECIFICATION means, or will need a colorful drawing?
    I know what SPECIFICATION means, it is something that hunreads of people read and understands differently, so you need further and further revisions and clarifications until majority have similiar view

In between that process all missunderstandings and bugs should be supported, not only glorious final neverending revision of it.

I also understand if you don't have resources, you can choose to support only very recent specs and ignore anything else what happened before
    Last edited by dungeon; 21 June 2017, 06:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Make one game engine and single one version of it which is "perfect" one. One that also all VK apps *must* use and you will fix an issue

Instead you have hundreds of engines, versions, revisions... that is like hundreds of people go to medic and are claimed equal healty all around, well they are not. On average they might be enough to pass required tests you have setted up currently, but some of them would need different workarounds anyway

Horrible idea is to expect how anybody can fix themselfs all the time even without medic Say, John Rambo is character that exist only in movies, reality is not like that Otherwise i am afraid only fictional characters like him will use your API properly
    Pinpoint me where/who claimed that we need "perfect" engines! Ever heard of software evolution and software updates? Yeah, we can even do it over the internet instantly. As much as I love ID, it is their fault for not proving a game that works over the CURRENT Vulkan specification. If we keep workarounding client issues, we will end up in a mess like in OpenGL, consuming precious developer time for support in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X