Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ramrod
    replied
    Doom now works for me with mesa 17.1.5 on arch. Was this added to stable mesa, or did yesterdays Doom update fix the issue?

Leave a comment:

• LeJimster
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Wooo, just confirming that they did indeed fix it No more green screen when launching Doom on wine! Rejoice!
    Really want to test this but I don't know how to roll back linux-amd-staging updates with an unofficial mesa-git repo I'm using on arch. Seems like every other update lately breaks amd-gpu for me with my R9 270. I have to keep reverting to the Radeon kernel every few days it seems. *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Wooo, just confirming that they did indeed fix it No more green screen when launching Doom on wine! Rejoice!

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by notaz View Post
    Actually it can be argued it's not even the game's fault - they just used a version of glslang (reference compiler from Khronos) that had the bug.
    Achtüng! Achtüng! - "All API bugs supported" clause of blob drivers or alternative police require all people who walk to have entire law into their heads so that they actually can't walk anymore "Hey this is illegal by up to date law, so raid this now"

What, you are not up to date? Put him in prison... no, into darkest dungeon even better
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 June 2017, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• notaz
    replied
    Actually it can be argued it's not even the game's fault - they just used a version of glslang (reference compiler from Khronos) that had the bug. It might even be that relevant part of the spec wasn't fully formalized at the time of DOOM was in development, there was no way for them to know their tools (actually Khronos tools) were doing something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• oooverclocker
    replied
    Unbelievable reactions - what a punch in the face of Croteam who spent money fixing it for The Talos Principle and rich Bethesda who couldn't care less about Linux gaming get's his crappy code fixed in the chaste Vulkan drivers so people can fiddle it working with Wine. Well done!

The consequences are clear. You can now produce bullshit code for Windows an let it get fixed by driver devs. And you don't even have to support Linux natively, no - driver and Wine devs will even make people buy your Windows version... wohoo!

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by ramrod View Post
    People in this thread need to calm down... Getting angry that a small workaround may temporally be in the Vulkan driver is a bit silly. In the mean time I'm going to play some DOOM with the open source driver. Thank you devs.
    Yep, people better to spend their time asking Vulkanstein 2 to be on Linux also, that seems just 4 months away

https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/...87031249244160
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/612880...5556479321267/

And once on Linux to fix shaders just for Mesa . And once they did this, probably something else would need fix and so on... so, people can't calm down really, but noice should really be elsewhere

Since as of this year AMD is in partnership with Bethesda it would run very likely top notch on AMD Vulkan

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-relea...2017feb28.aspx
    Last edited by dungeon; 21 June 2017, 12:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spacefish
    replied
    This is way more generic than the fixes implemented in the nvidia / amd blobs! They replace single shader binaries with other for specific applications, so they can improve the performance.. Once the dev recompiles the game with another compiler version or changes the name of the executable, the performance drops for some unknown reason, because the driver did not detect that specific game and did not load it´s optimized replaced shader!

Common things: They exchange 32 bit float calculations with 16 bit calculations, so they have half the memory bandwidth and almost double the performance, with minor visible impact! That´s like that windows compability list which pre allocates memory for specific binaries to avoid a segfaults ^^

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    I do agree in some sense that fixes for "non-compliancy" or whatever should be isolated. Especially if the devs are hoping it to be temporary.

Leave a comment:

• LeJimster
    replied
    Well I for one am happy this has been added. I've had a copy of Doom for months that I wanted to play through wine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X