No announcement yet.

My Three Hopes For AMD's Open-Source Stack The Rest Of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's worth pointing out that OpenCL is being merged into the Vulkan API and will no longer be developed separately.

"The OpenCL working group has taken the decision to converge its roadmap with Vulkan, and use Vulkan as the basis for the next generation of explicit compute APIs – this also provides the opportunity for the OpenCL roadmap to merge graphics and compute."

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Genera...Roadmap-Vulkan

Comment

I'd love to see the kernel drivers for ROCm being main lined. Currently, I'm using AMD's proprietary OpenCL driver with the amdgpu module from 4.11, but all open would be nice. Sycl (compute++) works fine, too.

Comment

I would like to see good GLVND (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=GLVND) support in these new drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          For me the main priority is to see AMDGPU drm enabled by default on my R9 290.
          At least on Arch they have turned on amdgpu for the 290 in the stock kernel.

Comment

Why does Mesa rely on mailing lists for patches, instead of using some modern method like merge requests (that platforms like Gitlab provide)? The later is so much more convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              At least on Arch they have turned on amdgpu for the 290 in the stock kernel.
              Interesting - I'm going to have to check that out.

Comment

I gave up last week and sold the RX 480 I bought nearly a year ago for a minimal loss (thanks Ethereum mining boom) and managed to get a GTX 1070 for a pretty good deal to replace it. DAL/DC support was crucial for me, and trying to live with the patched kernel was a huge pain. I was never able to get AMDGPU-PRO working either on Arch Linux after several attempts at downgrading the kernel/xorg and compiling the million other snowflake dependencies it has. Just a black screen with not very helpful logs every time :/

While I am super impressed with how far the open source drivers have come, I think I'll hold off on anymore AMD GPU purchases (at least for Linux systems) until this is all ironed out.

Comment

Originally posted by ownaginatious View Post
                  DAL/DC support was crucial for me, and trying to live with the patched kernel was a huge pain.
                  Just curious, what was the "huge pain" associated with using a kernel from agd5f's staging tree ? Are there specific config options or non-upstream patches required for Arch which precluded use of agd5f's staging tree or one of the repos built from those trees ?

Back around the Vulkan 1.0 debut we were hearing about "6 months" perhaps until seeing the Vulkan code release, but more than one year later, the official AMD Vulkan driver still hasn't been open-sourced.
                  This comment (from the article) really surprises me. I don't remember us ever talking about a timeline for Vulkan open sourcing, and I don't believe there was ever a 6-month timeline discussed internally or externally.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 04 June 2017, 02:52 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ownaginatious View Post
                    I gave up last week and sold the RX 480 I bought nearly a year ago for a minimal loss (thanks Ethereum mining boom) and managed to get a GTX 1070 for a pretty good deal to replace it. DAL/DC support was crucial for me, and trying to live with the patched kernel was a huge pain.
                    what load of bullshit. in what world is it easier to live with proprietary shit instead of with alternative kernel package?

Comment

I think DC is the most important thing. RADV is working sufficiently and the control panel is just icing on the cake. I build my own kernel anyway so I wouldn't mind building from amd-staging but surround sound doesn't work. That seems silly given that multi-channel PCM is one of the main benefits of HDMI audio. I have now gotten around to filing a bug report about it. No reply yet but admittedly it was only a week ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X